£100 to £200 Headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by GrahamS, Sep 28, 2010.

1. GrahamS

GrahamS New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    no point, no answer
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Graham,

You already know what characteristics you are looking for - open and detailed with a nice wide sound stage and excellent stereo imaging - Here are some recommendations

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Open Back Hi-Fi Headphones (AD 700)

£109.95 - Open light and detailed, extremely comfy but not a headphone for roaming due to size and fit. Slightly forward mids - great for Classical or Folk, with excellent sound stage these really come to life with live recordings.

Sennheiser HD595 Open Back Headphones (HD 595 Audiophile)

£126.95 - A lighter sound than the usual Sennheiser strong bottom end, a nice comfy all rounder that doesn't excel in any one area.

Grado SR125i Open Back Headphones (Grado SR 125i)

£157.95 - Definitely the most compelling of the three - that Grado sound is just so exciting - power, detail, subtlety when it's needed and aggression where it should be. They are bright but this is where the detail, separation and wide soundstage comes from. On ear design can become uncomfortable after hours of use.

I always through in a couple that are just over the top of the budget in case of price drop or finding that £50 you put in your old jeans.

Grado SR225i Open Back Headphones (Grado SR 225i)

£216.95 - As above but better!

Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium Semi-Open Headphones 32Ω

£249.95 - The best open back for this side of £500? It wouldn't be hard to argue as these are natural and exciting, composed and dynamic. It's hard to say how Beyer could improve this headphone, they are even really comfy!

Hope this helps, let me know:)