$200 - $250 Headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by etcetera, Sep 30, 2011.

1. etcetera

etcetera New Member

Hello hello, I'm in the market and this seems to be the best place for advice.

I think I know the drill:

- Looking for on ear or over ear headphones.
    - Would like a sturdy set, as I can be clumsy tbh.
    - Mostly listen to rock, metal or electronic music.
    - Noise canceling is a plus but not a requirement.
    - Phone/music player controls is a plus but not a requirement.

I know _nothing_ about headphones, I was initially considering Beats By Dre ($200 and $300) versions but I read here that the sound and build quality is not great. (Even though they're sill the nicest looking IMO).

You might kill me for succumbing to celeb endorsements, but has anyone seen Soul by Ludacris? Reviews online indicate they're a much better headphone than the Dre ones, and again they look pretty nice.

Anyway, I know that a good Sennheiser or Bose are way better than both

Thanks for reading

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headphones

The best way to start is go to the main site here and look through the different headphones, and pick a few that fit your needs the closest, then ask about those. If you ask only about what your friends have mentioned, then you are missing the whole subject of Hi-fi Headphones (i.e. high fidelity).

3. etcetera

etcetera New Member

Hm, that's why I came here =)

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Best $200 to $250 headphones

Honestly, the Monster Beats By Dre are very poor quality for the money. The finish is more like a $50 headphone. The noise cancelling will mostly not be useful (except when travelling in an aeroplane or near air conditioning units).

If you are OK with on-ear headphones below are a couple of options:

Klipsch Image One - if you like chunky bass response the Image One is a good choice. It's also a very well made headphone.

Audio Technica ATH-ES55 - well balanced sound, good sound isolation and well made.

If you really want the best portable headphones (and can stretch the budget up) then I would recommend Beyerdynamic DT1350. These headphones are astonishingly well made and sound incredible.

5. etcetera

etcetera New Member

I work in a computer lab, 1000's of severs and about 40 AC units =P

Thanks for the great reply, I have been looking at the KLIPSCH IMAGE ONE previously and I think I'll probably go with that =)

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I've had the Klipsch Image One and even did a review on it. But since you didn't ask about that one it was just one of a hundred other things to throw out. I also had the Beyer DT-1350 and did an extensive review on that. I like helping people with information, but just arbitrarily picking a few headphones not knowing your preferences for the many factors that determine your requrements, I didn't have anything to go on.

7. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

The fact that you are using the headphones for work and in a really noisy environment actually alters my recommendations somewhat. As dalethorn says the more information you give the better advice you will get! :)

You may find that on-ear headphones will start to fatigue the ears after hours of wearing them, so I would suggest looking at fully over the ear designs. Also on-ear will generally not isolate you from noise as well as an over ear headphone.

The Beyerdynamic DT770 comes within budget and is one of the best noise isolating headphones on the market. They are also REALLY comfortable. Sound quality is excellent (they are standard issue at the BBC), with excellent instrument separation, deep bass response and good positional accuracy. They will leave Monster Beats for dust in every way (except possible looks).