£250 burning a hole for my hols!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by sharger, Feb 19, 2012.

1. sharger

sharger New Member

Going on my hols next month and want to replace my headphones I use with my ipod/macbook pro. Currently Etymotic MicroPro ER-4S.

I don't want in ear models this time as they tend to hurt after a bit of wearing.

I also would like to use when at home via my Arcam AV8 (don't know if this is possible or whether it would need a different set of cans?)

I like indie, (guitars) reggae, adele, amy, lana del ray, bjork etc...

So what do you reckon? Can go slightly higher but would need to be a justifiable return on my investment.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headphone for 250 £

Closed Back Headphones

Here's a good list - scroll down to where the price hits £250 - I've reviewed several of those here on this site. Anything interesting here? BTW these are all "closed" headphones, so you would need a separate list for "open" types.

3. sharger

sharger New Member

Hey thanks... I'll check out now. They would need to be closed for out of home usage.

Thanks for speedy response..

4. sharger

sharger New Member

I've heard a bit about the Beyerdynamic DT1350 both positive and negative interested though....

Looking at the list it would also have to include:

Ultrasone PRO750

Denon AH-D2000

House Of Marley Destiny TTR

Pioneer SE-MJ591

I'd have to include the B&W P5s also.

Over budget but I'm interested in the Ultrasone PRO900 but they would have to be significantly better to justify the extra expenditure?

Are they all capable of being driven by an ipod whilst being also a good match for an AV8 processor?

Thanks again

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Any of these that are impedance 65 or less should work well with iPods.
    I'm not familiar with the Ultrasone - someone else here may comment on that.
    The Denon I've heard good about but haven't listened - I would not be afraid to buy the Denon.
    House of Marley would not in my opinion qualify as high fidelity.
    The Pioneer I haven't heard but like the Denon, I'd take a chance on it.
    The B&W P5 is an excellent portable, not just physically because you can wear it on your neck all day when not listening, but because of the smooth neutral response.
    The Beyerdynamic DT-1350 needs significant EQ to sound good, but if you're willing to do that, it's an excellent choice like the B&W P5 for the same reasons.

6. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

DT-1350 is harder to power than the P5 but it definitely has better control over the bass and a bit more detail. Both the DT-1350 and the Pro 750 really do need an amp to get the best out of them. If you like a contemporary smile curve EQ with a healthy dose of bottom end then the Pioneer SE-MJ591 is a definite contender. I would say that the Marley TTR is pobably not great for travelling as it is huge.

7. sharger

sharger New Member

So would it need an amp just for use with Ipod/macbook? I'm guessing it would not be required for the AV8?

If so what portable ones do you recommend to accompany the ipod/macbook? I'm guessing they would be of a small size?

many thanks...

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Use with laptop computer

For the DT-1350, you would not need an amp with the Macbook. Using my Macbook Air just now, I have probably 15 db overhead beyond normal loud listening - plenty enough for any additional adjustments you might need.

9. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I suppose it depends on the iPod, like Dale says though my Macbook is much louder than my iPod.