$250 dollar to $350 dollar sealed cans

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Laurence Cummins, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Laurence Cummins

Laurence Cummins New Member

Looking for a new set of cans to replace my Senn HD215s. I am not a basshead IMO, but I really need there to be depth in the sound without compromising the clarity. they needn't be too portable but that would be better. I loved the sound of the momentums but they didn't fit very well so i would like to know about the Momentum On-ears.

Alos looked at Denon Ah-d600, but can't really demom coz I live in rural england

Cheers

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Momentum on-ear is simply fabulous. I'm working on a review, and it will say the sound is awesome, particularly the bass which is astounding. I normally expect a truncated bass or a soft bass with on-ears, plus comfort issues. The MOE bass is strong and deep, not bloated, and tight and detailed. I'm not saying the MOE sounds that way to me as a purely personal opinion, since I have some highly regarded headphones with exceptional bass qualities, and in a direct comparison the MOE is right there with the best. The build quality is as good as it gets with headphones - hard to believe at this price level, but I can say it because anyone who holds it in their hands will understand. The comfort is as surprising as everything else, having a light clamp with amazing cloth-covered earpads that don't pinch at all. Those earpads are also much more comfy than plastic/pleather or leather etc. earpads in warm weather. Sennheiser hit a grand slam with the Momentum on-ear.

3. Laurence Cummins

Thanks

Thanks,
    I heard some people criticising them a bit. I am finding it really hard to compare answers from people because I think some of the audiophiles are not taking into account my budget. I really just want to know what sounds best and is comfortable etc for the price so it is nice to hear someone comment on the value.

I do appreciate responses though so thanks anyway to others (not in this thread)

Amperiors vs MOE vs KEF M500 vs Mad Dogs (amped)?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I'm replying because my experience shows that it's not the audiophiles taking your budget into consideration, it's audiophiles splitting hairs over what are known as "technicals" (which Headfonia does a lot of) and not listening to the music for the details it provides. I can tell you this - not one of the other reviews will allow for EQ'ing the MOE, therefore all of those criticisms are invalid based on my testing. I'm not saying that they're wrong in the absolute sense, since they have a right to avoid EQ and report the sound as is. I'm just saying that I'm more accomodating and that way I'm able to discover a gem like the MOE, and recommend it to others who are willing to EQ, or who will get along fine with the un-EQ'd sound.

5. Laurence Cummins

thanks

Ok,
    Just to calrify that the comment wasn't aimed at you at all, in fact I was highlighting the fact that you took into account the price which other people don't.
    Thanks for the advice. I think i'm down to the Mad dogs and the MOE. I know there's a big price difference so I am wondering if at this price, the difference is worth the extra dosh.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I'm aware who you were speaking of, because I read their reviews on many different forums. But I don't read the largest site headfi, because I haven't found reliable reviews there. If there were a reliable review there it would be buried under an avalanche of thousands of posts saying nothing. They even forced the large v-moda M100 into the portables section with some clever social engineering, and there it was with a hundred or so IEMs - very silly.

More to the point is there are some reliable reviewers who post on several sites including headfi, and a couple of those who are familiar with MadDogs also post here - Marcus and Quadpatch to name a couple. Also a few people at Headfonia. The best bet is to get familiar with the reliable reviewers and skip the big headphone jungle where you'll get mostly conflicting reports

7. Laurence Cummins

Old Dogs

Any thoughts on the mad dogs with older pads. There is a pair in Cambridge for £180
    What are the sonic differences?

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I hope someone can answer your question here, but it's going to be complicated since there are numerous variations in headphone and pads both.

9. Laurence Cummins

10. Laurence Cummins

Bass

The only concern I have about the older pads is whether the sub-bass will be any good. I have heard the alpha pads improve impact and tighten things up, but It is that deep warmth I like (not so much that it bleeds).

Thanks

11. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Mad Dog by Mr. Speakers | Headfonics

12. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Laurence,

I honestly think that the Momentum On Ears are the best portable headphone for that price. They have comfort, great sound and a surprisingly low price!

I haven't heard the Mad Dogs so I can't really comment on them.