3 Birds with 1 Audio Stone

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by agentreno, Jun 29, 2010.

1. agentreno

agentreno New Member

Hello!

It occurred to me recently that I need a gadget to cover several uses, and since they're all closely related, I should be able to find something. But I can't.

I need to:
    1) Use Skype without looking like a douche (earphones preferred to headphones in this case)
    2) Listen to good quality music wirelessly from my computer
    3) Double up as a handsfree kit for my smartphone in the car

Therefore I need something that is: wireless (bluetooth to go with the smartphone), in-ear, with a microphone, with good quality sound. And I'm prepared to pay for it.

Can anyone help identify the right product? Or am I really needing two products?

Karl

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Argentreno,

I think you have identified that there are two ways you could go with this.

By using one device for all three things there will be an inevitable compromise, there is no reason a Bluetooth stereo headset should not be employed for this purpose but the compromise is the sonic performance. When using wireless transfer with large audio files (high quality) there is a massive amount of processing power needed which should make a product large, hot and battery hungry - so Bluetooth compresses the signal as do FM frequency radio signal headphones.

Something like these would be perfect -

Jaybird SB1 Sportsband Bluetooth Headphones (JB-SB1)

£79.95

Working with Skype (some computers may require a separate Bluetooth adaptor), a Bluetooth enabled Mobile phone and Bluetooth enabled iPods and MP3 players - They feature an excellent integrated Mic and are comfy sitting still or on the go.

If you want the very best in wireless sound quality then the new Kleer Audio Protocol is the way to go! These devices do not have microphones so this is for Audio Visual use only but wireless doesn't sound any better than this.

You could go small with no compromise in quality with these excellent Sleek Audio products.

Sleek Audio SA6 & W1 Wireless Earphone Bundle (SA-6 & W-1)

£249.95

or combine

Sleek Audio W-1 Wireless Earphone Adapter (W1)

£99.95

with

Sleek Audio SA1 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones in Rosewood

£79.95

or wait for the ultimate wireless in ear monitors -

SLEEK AUDIO SA7 -
    featuring a milled aluminium body, carbon fibre cladding and dual wideband balanced armature drivers.

or go for a full size Kleer Audio headphone for home use

Sennheiser RS170 Wireless Headphones (RS 170 Wireless Headset)

£169.95

So the answer might be a combination of these two different type of products - Bluetooth and Kleer Audio.

3. agentreno

agentreno New Member

Firstly, thank you very much for your detailed response Robin. Since having a microphone included is important to me, I'll have to focus on your recommendation for the Jaybird JB-SB1 (though the sleek audio products do look good). My only problem with this product is the head arch. I'd prefer earphones. Is it possible to get something that looks a bit like a handsfree kit, but for both ears?

A design like the Sennheiser MX W1 would be ideal.

But those don't have a microphone sadly. I realise I'm being quite difficult, but before I give in and buy several products, I'd like to be sure that what I've described doesn't exist.

Or there's this:
    http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headsets_pc_music_500916

But it's not wireless. Close but no cigar!

I've since come across the Altec Lansing BackBeat 903. Which looks okay, but do you think it offers good sound quality? Also it doesn't specifically say it would be compatible with a PC, even with a bluetooth adapter (which my PC will need).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Unfortunately you are a victim of changing fashions, in the past there were more Bluetooth headphones of the design you are looking for but the current trend seems to be for a headband design.

These Altec Lansing BackBeat 903's should work fine with your PC and a Bluetooth adaptor (as Bluetooth is a standard protocol), at this price sound reproduction is unlikely to be "Hifi" in quality but this is the necessary compromise to get the functionality you require.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010