<= £300 ... and edible in case of emergency!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by moocow, Feb 28, 2011.

1. moocow

moocow New Member

morning all,

I'm looking to spend maximally £300 on a good pair of full-sized (open) headphones for home use. Source will be variable (various amps, computer sound cards / modules, cube monitor, and not least the occasional ipoodle). Purpose is music only, although some variation here as well: mostly small jazz, blues & folk ensembles, a smattering of "big" orchestral & choral arrangements, guitar-heavy postpunk, electronic squeaks & drones, ... that pretty much covers it.

The best-sounding headphones I've owned to date were a pair of Sennheiser HD575s (ca. 10 years old now), whose left driver unit committed suicide during my last move; although (judging from the left ear only) I now find them perhaps just a tad sloppy and unfocused, and they pressed uncomfortably on my jaw (small head) after 30 minutes or so. I also own 2 pairs of AKGs (K430 for on the go, K66 as an emergency replacement for the busted Senns): the K430s sound alright for the small closed cans they are, but are not an option for long listening sessions, as I wear glasses and these on-ear phones squish the earpieces to my head. The K66 are by far the comfiest of all, but the sound leaves a lot to be desired.

... I've been flirting with the AudioTechnica AD700, the Grado SR125i, the Beyerdynamic DT880 (32ohm), and the AKG K702, but am unsure how to unify the criteria of (1) good, clear sound [should be noticeably better than the old Senns]; (2) comfort; (3) longevity; and (4) nutritional value in case of dire emergency [just kidding]...

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

-moocow

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi moocow!

It seems like you know what you are doing to me - I wear glasses and find the DT880 are pretty comfy with glasses but everybody has a different head. I cannot get enough of the DT880 but again this is a personal thing. They are (1) Clearer and cleaner than the HD650 with better soundstage and tighter bass (2) Comfortable on my head with glasses (3) Beautifully hand made in Germany and therefore solid and reliable and (4) deliciously tasty drizzled in Olive oil with a sprinkle of cracked black pepper! :D

3. moocow

moocow New Member

... lightly sauteed until golden brown? Or perhaps as a salad...

Many thanks for the quick reply!

--moocow