£400 to spend on IEM

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by drjj, Jul 17, 2013.

1. drjj

drjj New Member

Hi, my Klipsch x10i cables have just split after 18 months and I need to get a new pair of IEM's. I liked the sound of these headphones but I would like to get a different pair which must have a remote detachable cable, and with less cable noise and less likely to break.
    I am looking at:
    1) Shure 535 red edition
    2) UE 900
    3) PFE 232
    4) any other ones you can recommend

I listen to mainly house/electronic and R and B/Hip Hop music so bass depth and clarity are important as well as crispness in the mids and highs.
    I love my music and am willing to spend upto £400. I use my IEM's 2-3 hours a day when commuting so comfort is important as well.

Many thanks

2. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi drjj,

In my opinion the best in-ears around the £400 price point are the Audeo PFE 232.

I have a pair myself and they really do tick all the boxes.. extremely comfortable, great build quality with 2 replaceable cables supplied and with a choice of EQ filters that are supplied you can even customise the sound to suit you.

One thing you should be aware of is that Phonak have wound up their consumer division which includes in-ears, and any stock that is available now is all that is left. The 2 year warranty will still be honoured and spares will still be available.

Audéo PFE 232

3. drjj

drjj New Member

Phonak Audeo 232

many thanks John..I will look into these and let you know. How much do you charge for the 232? If they are being discontinued will I find them cheaper anywhere?

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

IEM upto £400

A couple of other options would be the very nice Westone 4R or the brand new Earsonics SM64. Both well worth checking out...

5. drjj

drjj New Member

Thanks Shaun, would the Westones or Earsonics suit my music tastes? Also do these earphones have the ability to use a microphone cable?
    Many thanks

6. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

The 4R and SM64 are definitely up there in my favourites, but I think the PFE232 gives deeper bass and a little extra treble. The 4R and SM64 will probably give better midrange and an overall more balanced sound, but if it is bass and detail you like then the PFE232 would still be my choice.

There is no mic/control cable available for either the 4R or SM64. Westone used to do one but it has been discontinued.