£60 - Closed back headphones?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Mattbot2, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Mattbot2

Mattbot2 New Member

Hi guys!

My brother is looking for a pair of headphones around the £60 mark. He will be using them for music, games, TV and used with an electric drum kit.

I have a pair of DT770's myself and he's been stealing mine but he needs his own now, so I expect something with similar traits to the DT770's would be ideal. Durability is a big factor.

Shure SRH240A have been recommended to me, are these any good?

Thanks,

Matt

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Mattbot2

Shure SRH240 would do the job, I find these a tiny bit bass light though - might be perfect fro him or if he likes a bit more bass but not over the top then these are pretty amazing -

Fostex TH-7 Dynamic Semi Open Studio Headphones in Black (TH-7B)
    £45.95

Semi Open but they do not leak much, they really inpressed me. Not an easy pricepoint so the Shures would be sensible - maybe he could get a Fiio E6 to help with the bass.

3. Mattbot2

Mattbot2 New Member

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

As long as they are proper UK ones with a warranty - I really don't like grey imports. You think you are saving a bit of money but really they hurt the brand and its availability in the UK - some are stolen, the person selling them is probably avoiding paying tax somewhere (so you have to pay more tax to make up for it) and to cap it all off they probably are making more out of you than a legitimate dealer who is doing everything right.

Check that they will support the warranty because if they are non-EU (and at that price they are probably non-EU) Shure UK will not support the warranty, which is only right as they never sold them in the first place.

Sorry for the rant but I do see Grey importers as parasites, I know we are in a financial crisis but supporting semi legal tax dodgers is not going to help us out of it. Just my opinion:)

It's a nice headphone and you should get the best one you can afford so I would go with this. Just check the company is legit and you have a valid UK warranty.;)

5. Mattbot2

Mattbot2 New Member

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Shure 440?

Closed Back Headphones

From £67 to £89 is a big difference, and with such a big discount *and* free delivery, the dealer is obviously eager to dump them. Are they offering a money-back guarantee if you don't like them?

7. Mattbot2

Mattbot2 New Member

Yes they are, 30 days! In fact I just got a bunch of gear from them, mics, stands, filters etc, all great.

Oh and it's actually £61 with £6 delivery.

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Shure 440

It sounds like a good deal all around, but don't forget the saying about a deal too good to be true. Just check carefully and cross your fingers.