A Question of Impedance

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by JayGee, Mar 17, 2013.

1. JayGee

JayGee New Member

I'm looking to buy some closed-back, circumaural cans, mostly for listening to jazz and classical but with some rock thrown in.
    I'll be driving them from a Sony TA-FB930R integrated amp or, occasionally directly from the associated Sony CD and minidisc players. The amp spec gives the phones output as 10mW at 8ohms, the CD player as 10mW at 32ohms and the minidisc as 28mW at 32ohms.
    My assumption is that I'm after 'phones with nominal impedance around 32 ohms for load matching, but how much leeway do I have on this? Also, can I assume that high impedance headphones (around 2-300 ohms) will be unsuitable without a headphone amp with greater power output than 10-28mW?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Higher impedance headphones won't drive adequately with 10 to 28 mw, and even 32 ohm headphones will lack dynamics and volume on a lot of music at those mw levels. And not knowing the true Output Impedance of those devices, it's hit or miss how bad the bass will be when not damped properly. A small headphone amp would help. Here's a perfect example:

FiiO E11 Headphone Amplifier in Black (E-11)