Advantages of having more wattage?

Discussion in 'Audio Sources' started by acme15, Apr 10, 2012.

1. acme15

acme15 New Member

I have a pair of wharfedale diamond 9.2 speakers rated at 20 - 100w

what would the difference in sound quality (and other factors) be between powering them with a 50w x2 amplifier, and powering them with an 80w x2 amplifier?

Thanks

2. acme15

acme15 New Member

i know that it depends on the amplifier, but for the purposes of this question assume that everything about the amp is the same except the wattage.

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Wattage

If you're getting clipping with the lower powered amp, or some degree of other distortion due to power limits, you could expect those things to improve with more power, if everything else were the same. You may also find that a power conditioner can make a serious improvement, as well as better cables if your current cables are not audiophile grade. By audiophile grade I don't mean sky-high price, just decent cables. Speaker positioning makes a difference, and sometimes getting better supports that don't contribute to resonance helps too.

4. phrehdd

phrehdd New Member

All things being equal, the difference between 50 watts and 80 watts (given the rating of your speakers) is negligible. Most AVRs are not rated conservatively but there are a few such as Marantz that do rate conservatively (meaning that if they say 100 watts x2, it usually is fairly accurate or can peak above 100 watts).

With all respect to this website, you might want to dabble in AVS Forum site. There are a few very well defined discussions and explanations on that site.

As stated above, "all things being equal" would mean that there is a common denominator in the specs of the two units compared. THD, S/N ratio etc. Also the efficiency of your speakers makes a bit of difference with higher efficiency a better match for lower wattage systems.

My system at home - 5.0 with all speakers rated at 89-91 dB. They are being ran on a 50 watt per channel system. As many know, when more than 2 channels are played, they do not all get 50 watts. However, my system plays loud enough at 60 percent and blasts at 85 percent. If you used an 80 watt system, when turned up to about 85 percent, you would probably not hear much difference. (Marantz NR1602 driving Goldenear - Triton 7 pair, X series center and remainder are all AON 3)

As you mentioned a two speaker (stereo system) chances are you will have no problem with a decent 50 or 80 watt system (unless you are playing constantly at max levels). A real major difference might be seen at around 120 watts compared to 50.
    Btw, you have good taste in your speaker selection. Price vs sound the Wharfs are a smart buy.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013