Advice: Best HTC Desire replacement/upgrade headphones?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Dog909, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Dog909

Dog909 New Member

Hello all :)

Having lost my original HTC Desire headphones I'm looking for a replacement.
    The important features are having a mic & prev/next track buttons (like the originals).
    I use my headphones for taking calls & I do like to swap my tracks without having to keep
    getting my phone out. Volume controls would be nice but I think I cut my (limited) options even further wanting those aswell?

Previously I had seen the usual sennheiser cx3,4 & 500's but none seem to have a mic or track buttons, though their reported sound quality would be great (for me).
    I also looked at the Sony MW600 bluetooth thing, which does have the right buttons, but I'm not convinced about it due to the battery drain of having bt enabled on my Desire (even though it's rooted & optimised). The other headphones which caught my attention were the SoundMagic MP21's which I found in this very forum, the only drawback is obviously no track buttons....so far it seems I can get all the features I need...just not all on one headset!

So, am I looking for the Holy Grail here or does such a piece of kit exist?!?

I'm not a massive audiophile but do know that the stock headphones are crap & there is much better out there, which puts my budget @ around 40 beans. To be honest I personally probably wouldn't appreciate the difference in anything more expensive as my mp3's are all 192kbps. I fully realise I'm not looking at awesome quality for that money, but for me bang for buck is more important ;)

I'm sure this has been answered in a thread here somewhere already so please forgive me if I'm retreading old ground.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I am going to have to disappoint you I am afraid. No manufacturers make headphones with these controls - the only controller supported fully by headphone manufacturers is the iPhone controller. This is for obvious reasons, there are millions and millions iPods, iPhones and iPads and they all work with the same controller and have done for about three years.

The best you can really aim for is a multi function button and mic which will work with the HTC Desire, one press of the MFB will pause or play, Two presses will go one track forward and three one track backwards.

Here is our Mobile Phone Headphones section in price order all of the stuff inside your price bracket is good and has a similar warm dynamic driver feel but I would opt for either

SoundMAGIC MP21 In-Ear Earphones in Black with Microphone
    £25.96
    or
    AiAiAi Pipe In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones with Mic in Black
    £35.95

Which are both great quality and excellent value for money:)

3. Dog909

Dog909 New Member

Many thanks for the reply.
    I thought that may be the case, but it's not a real problem, I don't mind how
    it skips tracks, just as long as it does! After I posted I realised that the
    headphones I initially overlooked mostly have multi function buttons.
    I don't mind a mfb, just as long as it is fully supported by my Desire. I don't
    use the default music player, I have poweramp so I'm fairly confident it should
    work. I like the SoundMagic Mp21's as they seem to rate highly among headsets
    @ that price point. They also have a carry case which should help stop me losing
    them! One last thing, though not critical, am I correct in assuming the speaker
    wires are symmetrical? :)

4. RobinHiFi

Yes it is a symmetrical cable - I really don't like the asymmetric ones:mad:

5. Dog909

Dog909 New Member

I actually don't mind them, but that's only through using Sony mobiles for many years.
    Once I got used to them I found them useful for when I needed to take my phones out, at least they stayed round my neck. That said, I have no major preference either way.
    I took your advice & ordered some MP21's, but I have to admit- I am an impatient
    soul & grabbed some from an alternative source as you guys were out of stock. Sry :(
    Once again though, many many thanks for all your clarification. I will definitely shop with you
    in the future & point my mates in this direction too :)

6. RobinHiFi

That's no problem! We do not expect the people on this forum to shop with us, the idea is to help people get more out of their headphones. If everybody is happier with their headphones the shop will take care of itself. Obviously I drop in our product pages to posts asking for advice but that is just because I know our site and the pages are helpful. It would be very short sighted to ask for anything further than forum members looking after each other and keeping it fun and helpful here!:D

7. Dog909

Dog909 New Member

I realise I was never locked into a contract with you or anything, just thought it would be nice to repay the advice, you know, you scratch my back etc. Again though, thanks for everything- I have just heard that my mp21's have arrived so I'll let you know how I get on with them :)

8. Dog909

Dog909 New Member

O.M.F.G! So impressed with my new mp21s. OK so I may know naff all when it comes to headphones, but I know enough to be blown away by these! Everything about them is just right. The cable length is spot on, the supplied comfort fit buds own, the little slider to keep the wires tidy is brilliant, & when used with the eq on Poweramp the sound is just so crisp compared to the original headset (which I actually found again 2day!!!) What can I say, they even look good! Thanks again guys. Dog out :) :) :)

9. RobinHiFi

I am really glad you like them so much!:D

10. Dom S

Dom S New Member

MP21 in line control function

Hi, I've just received a pair on MP21s. I've plugged them into my Sony Ericsson phone, but frustratingly I only get full sound with the in line control button pressed. Otherwise the volume is lower and the sound is tinny. Does anyone know why this is, and more importantly, if it can be changed?

11. RobinHiFi

Hi Dom,

Either there is a problem with the headphone - Easy to tell, simply plug it into an normal MP3 player and check if they work - or your phone has a different arrangement inside the socket and only headphones designed for that phone will work. If the second is true you can normally get a cheap adaptor from the shop your mobile came from:)

Hope that helps

12. abogado

abogado New Member

Mobile

your phone has a different arrangement inside the socket and only headphones designed for that phone will work. If the second is true you can normally get a cheap adaptor from the shop your mobile came from

13. RobinHiFi

Hi Abogado

I see a fondness for ctrl C in your first post, feel free to start your own topic if you have any questions:)

14. Patkins

Patkins New Member

Hi Robin,

I have just purchased the AIAIAI's from you guys but the inline mic doesn't work with my Desire. Can you please confirm that the mic should work and if not can I return them for something that will?

thanks

15. RobinHiFi

Tested this today with one of my colleagues HTC Desire, The mic should function fine - only the volume control will not work. In other words it sounds like it might be faulty. As I have some other routes of contact for you I will let you know what to do next through your email:D