[Advice] Bluetooth In-ear headphones

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by F43nd1r, Feb 5, 2016.

1. F43nd1r

F43nd1r New Member

I have ordered 3 different bluetooth in-ear headphones in the last month. All of them are going back to the seller, because they don't seem to fit my needs.
    I've started with the very cheap MPOW Cheetah for 30€.
    I know my hearing isn't the best. So, while I listen to music all day, the sound was good enough for me.
    It also had a working 3-Button control (which is one of the reasons why I am looking for bluetooth headphones).
    The problem: It is waaay to big. I use my headphones before sleep, so I should be able to lie on them, which I couldn't.
    Next I tried JBL synchros reflect for 70€.
    While these are also big, I could live with that. The problem here was, that there was a blue status LED, that was so bright, it lighted up my whole room. Definetly no sleep with these either. Also the control didn't allow me to change tracks.
    And last I tried Philips SHB5900 for 95€.
    I really like the way these are built: The earpiece is extremely small (smaller than my cable bound one). The battery is in the center of the cable, so you don't notice the weight (I'm not sure if I would notice these 5g anywhere else, but still a good thing).
    The problem: There is a constant static background noise. I can't listen to anything which does not fill the whole audio range at all times. Because I am listening to a wide variety of music this excludes a significant part of my library.

As you can see I am going constantly up in price. I can afford up to 200€, but would rather not pay more than 100€.
    I am basically looking for headpones similar to the SHB but with better sound and no static noise.
    A list of what is important:
    - Bluetooth (the audio jack on my phone is crap)
    - In ear (everything else would annoy me in bed)
    - small earpiece (same reason)
    - 3-Button Android compatible control

I hope you can help me!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Steve-HiFi

Steve-HiFi Super Moderator Staff Member

The trouble with bluetooth earphones such as that is that manufacturers have their eye on the exercise/work-out market and design them accordingly. You're not the only one who wants to wear earphones in bed so there will be more appropriate designs in the future.

There's nothing I can suggest to tick all your boxes. but I have heard of people 'fixing' bothersome bright LEDs by covering them with something, or even using marker pens to paint over them and dull the light. This might work for you.

3. F43nd1r

F43nd1r New Member

I'm back at cabled headphones for now. Thanks anyway.