Advice for casual mobile phone listening please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Terra, May 18, 2012.

1. Terra

Terra New Member

Hiya,

I'm hoping I could get some advice. I'm looking for a secondary pair of earphones for listening to podcasts and music on my mobile phone when out and about (maybe a dedicated mp3 player for longer journeys too). (I got amused looks last time I traveled with my full size sennheisers - I have a small head and they look very overwhelming! Plus they don't make it easy to travel light, not exactly fitting in a handbag)

I'm not keen on heavy base and like vocals to be lovely and clear. As it's primarily for my phone (a blackberry) a multifunction button and mic would be great too. I have an old pair of Sennheiser CX95s which I liked but only one ear is working now :(

My preference would be to spend under £60.

I'm quite taken by the AiAiAi Pipe but have read that it's quite bass-y. I looked at reviews of the AiAiAi Swirl as well but the cable seems far too heavy.
    I have read the glowing recommendations on the forum for the SoundMAGIC E10Ms, but I've also read that their controls aren't compatible with anything but i-products?

I would prefer minimal sound leakage and small profile so I think I'm limited to in-ear options.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly received, thank you!

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

3. Terra

Terra New Member

Thank you very much for the reply and recommendation Dale. About 8 or so years ago I had what I think was the first generation of those, but with the noise cancelling unit (pxc-250 I believe). I liked them but at just over two years use they failed on me, so I'm a bit shy of that model again. I also think that I would prefer IEMs at the minute.

I've been thinking over the weekend about my usage (more general use and music than I estimated) and have been tempted by reviews of more expensive models :D But I don't want to spend too much if I only have to spend again to replace them in just 2 years time. Thankfully I'm not an audiophile, I just dislike muddy sound where everything runs in together and over-emphasis on bass.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Very good observations. The PX-200ii would need earpad replacements, and being all plastic and not expensive plastic either, could easily fail within 2 years. However, as of today I haven't found a small portable headphone in any price range that sounds as good as the EQ'd PX-200ii. Many of the current earpad headphones for portable use have heavy bass, and using bass reduction EQ nearly always means losing the low bass. VModa's M80 might qualify for good sound and durability, but comfort could be an issue. I have a Bose OE2i that has perfect bass and good mids, but almost no treble, even with treble boost. And probably less durable than the Senn PX-200ii. If I had access to HiFiHeadphones' warehouse, I would probably find something. Meanwhile I ordered two more sets of the PX-200ii in white from J&R in New York for $50 USD apiece. The PX-200ii I have is two years old, but hasn't been used a lot. It doesn't look like it will break any time soon. And the sound is actually better than I described in the review. It's just amazing.