Advice for shallow ears (canals)

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by russss, Feb 5, 2012.

1. russss

russss New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Hi, I am looking for a new set of IEMs having really struggled to get something which fits well. I am told I have shallow ears (I assume its the canal which are shallow) and have tried virtually every size and shape ear bud in an attempt to get a good fit - I seem to need a wide silicone ear bud to get the best fit, and am using some Sennheiser CX680 large tips on my CX300-IIs at present but they eventually work loose during running. I bought some SoundMAGIC E30s from you in September, but these were no better (I couldn't get a comfortable fit with them) - I even bought a sampler pack of Monster Supertips (Gel and Foam) and none of them fitted comfortably either!

I've been looking at the Phonak Audeo PFE range (either the 012s or 122s) - sold by their "Perfect Fit Earphone" tagline and their 30 day money-back guarantee (oh, and the numerous really good reviews!), but am I going to have any more success with these?

Thanks for any advice you can give...
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Russ

Have you tried the comply tips yet? Foam tips are all different so don't let your experience with other foam tips put you off. If you are really happy with an earphone you could go for these

Custom Earphone Sleeves for Standard Earphones

That might be overkill though.

The Phonaks are worth a try, they do not require a deep fit and they have a small nozzle which should help with seating them. The problem with giving advice to you on this subject is that we all have very different ears and without seeing them (don't feel you have to post a pic of your ears) it is isn't easy to advise you.

You are going about it in the right way though. Lots of people have fit problems and just carry on without trying to solve them. Earphones never sound their best unless they have a really positive fit. Feel free to keep this conversation going. Share your experiences because this problem is very common.:)