Advice needed for headphones <= £150

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Nitro32339, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Nitro32339

Nitro32339 New Member

The type of headphones I'm looking for are ones that is made for drums and guitars (lows and highs?). So maybe an all rounder type. Portability would be a bonus.

I'll be using it for studying and the computer (also, maybe my HTC Sensation and/or iPod Nano 4th Generation) and possibly long durations so comfort will have to be bearable.

I don't mind whether it's open or closed back.

Ones I looked at were the (also looked at other posts and forums) Audio Technica M50, Sennheiser HD558 and the V-MODA Crossfade M80 (Not in the UK?). If there's any other ones that are cheaper/on par/better than these ones, your advice will be much appreciated.

Also, I won't be using any amps/DACs in the future.

However, I could wait till next year to get a larger budget.

Thank you.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Choices

All of those you listed are fine according to your needs.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Nitro32339

I agree with Dale Thorn, these would be good choices. I really like the Audio Technica M50, it has a great sound and excellent build quality and is really quite portable for a full size cup headphone.:)

4. Nitro32339

Nitro32339 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering, I can find the V-MODA ones for £14 cheaper in one of V-MODAs verified dealers. Apologies if I'm not supposed to link sites for prices other sources.
    Buy V-Moda Crossfade M-80 On-Ear headphones Shadow (M-80-SHADOW), free delivery | PCDeli

Wanted to know (unless I can find the ATH M50 for even less), is it worth going for that instead? If they get stock that is haha.

Edit: Do you guys sell the ATH M50 version that isn't the coiled cable?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Make sure where you buy (especially at discount) that you are getting the genuine brand with warranty. There are many "copies" these days. Note that you will not have a valid warranty if the dealer is not authorized to sell the item.

6. Nitro32339

Nitro32339 New Member

I hope this is the real site for V-MODA verified dealers Then in the UK section, PCDeli is a verified. So I hope it's genuine.

Is it possible that, even if they're a verified dealer, that non-genuine products can be sold/received?

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Genuine

Unlikely. As long as they're authorized, then you rely on the reputation of the dealer.

8. Nitro32339

Nitro32339 New Member

I'll probably be buying the ATH M50's instead. Can't find the M80's anywhere in the UK and ordering off V-MODA will probably cost me £200 to get it from the US.

But thanks for the help.

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

M50

I think you'll find that the M50 is just as good, maybe even better.

10. Nitro32339

Nitro32339 New Member

Only reason I would have went for the M80 for it's durability and portability and if it was cheaper. Otherwise M50 would have been (probably easy) first choice.

11. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Portability and the M80

The M80 may be very durable, but I don't know yet. Time will tell. As to portability, a big issue with me is when I don't have it on my head, I like to pull the earcups down and rotate them flat against my chest so I can have the headphone around my neck for hours without bumping into my chin. No such luck with the M80 since the cups don't rotate and they pull down only a little. I get by with it but I have to remember not to tilt my head down much or I keep bumping my chin on those earcups.