Advice on buying Headphones...

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by rick90, Dec 23, 2011.

1. rick90

rick90 New Member

Hi, i am looking to buy a pair of good quality headphones, i have done some research into it, but there are so many different types out there! I am no audiophile so i thought i would ask some people with expertise in this area...

Recently i tried out some dre beats pro, and was impressed with the clarity compared with my Sennheiser 205 headphones. So i think that it is time to upgrade!! i dont have a big budget only about £100 but could push it to £150 if need be. I understand that i probably wont get the same quality as the dre beats for the price, but i just want something better... I am going to use them to listen to music on my laptop/ ipod and sometimes watch movies. I listen to quite a wide range of music, but mostly rnb, hip hop and house... I wont be using them outside of my house so i started looking at open back headphones, but i like a lot of bass so i dont know which type to go for. i would go for the dre beats but i have read some bad reviews and dont like the fact that you need batteries to use them, or the hefty price tag! Its also important that they are comfortable, because i cant use the ones i have now for more than a couple of hours without a break. maybe i am asking for a bit much but any help or ideas would be appreciated..

thanks in advance
    Rick

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Anything besides Beats?

There are a lot of headphones for £150 or less that should sound as good as a Beats Pro. My experience is limited, but here's what I have found. I have a Vmoda V80 (same as M80) that can't be beat by any Beats. Made to last 100 years, good looks, great sound, very portable, changeable cords. The Klipsch Image One isn't bad, and even better with a little bit of bass correction. Klipsch also has a new Reference One that's suppose to be an upgrade from the Image One, and within your price range. I found a Phiaton MS-400 at a discount that was less than £150. Very good sound too. If I were you I would ask other persons who post here what they think, especially what they think about headphones that you can obtain directly and locally.

3. rick90

rick90 New Member

Thanks dalethorn for the help.... I like the look of those Phiaton MS-400, and i read some reviews and people seem to rate them... Where did u see them for £150??

Many thanks

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Phiaton

Every so often Amazon has a sale and drops the price, then after maybe a week it goes back up. It can be tricky though. You have to know which item to watch, and it could be 6 months before you get a price break. Then, you have to be sure of the seller, because sometimes the Amazon seller might not be reliable, and in rare cases they might not be authorized.

5. rick90

rick90 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply and all the help... Im going to hunt down these headphones and let u know when i get them...

6. rick90

rick90 New Member

V Moda M80

Hi dalethorn, i have been doing a bit more research and i think that i prefer the m80s... the build quality looks much better and they are cheaper... but having looked around i found out that v moda also make a bigger pair called the lp2, so i was wondering what your opinion was on these if u have used them yet. Also, how is the noise isolation in the m80s as they don't fit completely over the ears do they? Just out of curiosity, out of the headphones u recommended for me which one do u prefer??
    Many thanks for the expertise!!

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

8. rick90

rick90 New Member

Bought Myself Some M80s!!

Thanks for the advice... just bought myself some m80s off amazon!! can't wait for them to arrive!! Some people have said that they may benefit from having an amp, what do you think? if so could you recommend one?

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

VModa M80

Congratulations on the M80 - I am no expert on amps, but if I were getting a desktop amp I would get something with a USB DAC in it. Check with the experts here on the headphone amp topics if that's a possibility. I would be much more careful with portable amps, since there is a lot of variance in sound quality with the portables. Probably the biggest issue with a portable amp is the actual features and how it mates with the media player you use.

I wouldn't expect amp volume to be a problem since the M80 is fairly efficient and plays at very good volume with iPods and etc.