Advice on everything basically

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ojdhaze, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ojdhaze

ojdhaze New Member

Hi,

I am looking into buying a nice pair of of quality headphones, but i really have on idea what i'm looking for.

They don't really need to be portable as such, as the main source of listening is through my iMac.

I have my eye on a pair of Sennheiser HD595.
    I like the look and the price of them, but from what i have read, it appears they need an amp?

So, if somebody could give me some insight and advice on whether these are a good choice, and if somebody could help with the amp situation also, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Ojdhaze,

The output of your iMac will power Sennheiser HD595 but even though Macs are great the headphone output can be vastly improved on with an Amp / DAC.

The Digital Analogue Converter (DAC) is the clever bit of circuitry that changes the Digital signal into sound, both this and a well thought out amp will get the best from your iMac. External DAC's are much less noisy and have much nicer components than even a really nice Mac.

The Amp section will give you an even and sensible headphone output with plenty of headroom.

Have a look at this - Ibasso D2 - this is a USB powered Amp / DAC is small and can even be used as a stand alone amp with your iPod if you go on holiday and want to take audiophile quality sound with you. As a portable amps a full charge (includes on board rechargeable battery) gives 30-40 hours battery life.

These are versatile and very clean - Maybe get the headphones first and add an Amp / DAC later, the improvement is normally quite remarkable.

When you get the headphones if you like the sound you are getting but are struggling for headroom you could get a much more simple Amp like this one Fiio E5.

3. ojdhaze

ojdhaze New Member

Hi Robin,

Thank you for the in depth reply, really appreciate it, and it very informative.

Many thanks.