Advice on Headphone for noise reduction

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by sjclarkey, Nov 13, 2012.

1. sjclarkey

sjclarkey New Member

I am looking for a pair of headphones for a very particular situation. My neighbours have become very noisy lately and I need a pair of headphones to enable me watch TV in peace. I am trying to block out the sound of banging kitchen doors, scraping chairs, and voices. So it's intermittent noise rather than a constant drone or music being played loudly.

Unfortunately I don't have the budget for a top of the range model like Bose and sound quality is not as important as being able to cover up the noise. I don't like in-ear headphones and I am also female so nothing really, really bulky or heavy.

I would be grateful for any advice or recommendations. Many thanks

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi sjclarkey,

Unfortunately it is hard to block out all the noises your neighbors are making. Isolation is a great way to combat this as it is a cheaper solution to noise cancelling (which doesn't work as well with high pitched and irregular noise anyway).

Full size headphones which are closed back will remove the largest amount of noise. They are also comfy for the ears and these ones are all quite light too.

Fostex TH-7 Dynamic Closed Studio Headphones in Black (TH-7B)
    £45.95

Ultrasone HFI-450 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 450)
    £79.96

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £145.00

The Fostex ones are amazing at this price!:)

3. sjclarkey

sjclarkey New Member

Many thanks for the advise. I am however a bit confused about the Fostex headphones. Looking on their website they are described as having 'semi-open type drivers'. I have also seen them described as semi open on other websites too. Does this mean they will have less noise reduction capabilities than the others you recommend?

4. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

In theory semi-open does have less isolation than closed yes but I have some Fostex semi-opn headphones (not those) and they isolate better than my closed back Denons. Maybe it's a Fostex thing... OK I'll let Robin answer you now :)

5. RobinHiFi

This really confused us too as they seem to isolate better than some closed back headphones. If they are venting sound it must be into another dimension or something:D

Feel free to give them a go as they would be perfectly returnable if you didn't get on with them.

6. sjclarkey

sjclarkey New Member

Ok that is interesting. Before I go ahead and order I just want to check how tight they are on the ears/head. I just popped into Curry's (no intention of buying just to get a feel for size) and tried the Sennheiser 205 which really hurt me as they squeeze my head and press too much on the ears, whereas something like the Sony MDR ZX600 was much more comfortable. Comfort is a big issue for me too! With this info in mind are there any others you want to suggest as well?

Thank you so much for your help.

7. RobinHiFi

They have a very light fit with next to no clamping force, very comfy for the ears and head:)