Advice on Set Up

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by gimmeshelter, Aug 6, 2010.

1. gimmeshelter

gimmeshelter New Member

Hi,
    First post and new to the world of music reproduction through headphones.
    I've got a fairly decent speaker set up in a listening room at home and I was looking to start getting into headphone use as it appears quite interesting.
    I'm looking to start at an average level and progress over the years and was wondering if the following set up that I'm looking into is a good starting point?

PC/iphone4 - Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 - Alessandro MS1i

I went for the Maverick cause it combines DAC/PreAmp/Headphone Amp and thought having all in one would be good to start?

What do you think, is this ok to start with or can anyone else reccommend a good beginner set up?

Thanks in advance.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi gimmeshelter,

Cannot see any problems with this set up, in fact I'd love to have a listen as I'm sure this will work out great - I have not tried the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 but it seems extremely reasonable at this price and feedback about the unit is great! I might be wrong but I think you are in the US? In the UK or Europe you would struggle to buy these exact items.

Trying to spec a similar set up might end up like this -

PC/iphone4 - Ibasso D2+ or Ibasso D10 - Grado SR60i or Grado SR80i

The Alessandro MS1i are made in partnership with Grado, they are a redesign of the Prestige range casing with the Grado driver and a little different thinking thrown in.

I think you are right to go for a combined DAC headphone amp as this is an excellent way to keep the quality high and the price reasonable. The Ibasso D2+ only has USB digital in (and analogue) but if you need more options the Ibasso D10 has USB in, CO-AX in, Optical in (and analogue), these are small portable alternatives. The other clever thing about this purchase is that if you decide to get a really nice dedicated headphone amp later then the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 will still be really useful for it's DAC!

Hope this works really well for you : )

3. gimmeshelter

gimmeshelter New Member

Thanks for the reply, I'm not actually in the US but sunny Glasgow believe it or not. I managed to get the Maverick Audio with free delivery from the website, worked out at £140 and also got the Alessandro MA1i's for £85 including delivery via email. All in all it looks to be a reasonable starting set up for a great price. I can also use the tube amp in the Maverick for my home set up. I'm also gonna look into the equipment you mentioned do thank you for the advice.

4. RobinHiFi

On a reasonable budget Grado is a great way to go, at the bottom of the New York made range they are still breathtaking - Why not do a mini review of the Alessandro MA1i's on the forum as most people have not heard of this Grado collaborator.

Happy listening!

5. gimmeshelter

gimmeshelter New Member

As soon as the Alessandro's arrive I'll spend a couple of days burning them in then I'll definately give reviewing them a go. They're my first set of proper cans so I could only compare them to the Bang & Olufson A1's I use at the moment on my iPhone.

6. RobinHiFi

I think it would be a positive thing that these are your first high end headphones - I think with this model your thoughts and feelings more important to people who will be looking at buying these headphones for themselves : )