advice on two types of headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by emilio89, Aug 15, 2012.

1. emilio89

emilio89 New Member

Hi, I've been wanting to buy good headphones for a while now, and I'd like to ask for your expert advice regarding the purchase of two different models.

- A full size closed back pair. I'd like this to be my main pair of headphones to listen to music and watch videos at home, but I'd also like to be able to use them on long trips. I'd like this pair to be big and comfortable (and to cover the whole ear) and have great sound depth and clarity despite the closed back. I'd like to keep the price under £200 (max £250 for very good deals).

- An in ear isolating pair. I'd like to use this pair in more common day-to-day situations (on the bus ecc..), so I'm mainly after comfort and good fit, I'm not interested in exceptional sound quality, but I'll gladly spend a bit more for better isolation.

One more thing: I will need one of these two pairs on occasional long plane trips. Would you recommend I get one of them (which one?) with noise cancellation or can I do without it?

Thank you for you advice.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi emilio89

Active noise cancelling is not 100% necessary. It does a great job of getting rid of the engine hum of a jet aircraft though, so if this noise really bothers you (if you regularly fly long hall it's worth considering - almost any noise gets annoying if you hear it for most of a day) then these will help. If (like me) the engine hum doesn't bother you then you are better off forgetting active noise cancelling. It doesn't work on short sounds (children shouting) or high pitched sounds (children shouting) and thats the kind of thing that drives me mad whilst travelling. Active noise cancelling slightly disrupts the music you are listening to and it also adds to the cost of your headphones without improving the sound.

What kind of music do you like and do you prefer a relaxed and bass heavy feel or a bright feel with forward mids?

3. emilio89

emilio89 New Member

Thank you for your answer. Regarding the full sized closed pair, if I have to choose I think I'll go with the relaxed bass and heavy feel, but I still would like them to be as versatile as possible, since I listen to many different types of music.

Regarding the noise cancelling, if I decided to get a pair with this feature, would you recommend for it to be the full sized or the in-ear pair? Perhaps you could recommend just one pair for each type, but I think I'll give it a miss after all. Thanks again for your advice.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I can't comment on in-ear earphones, but of the closed large variety here is my work-list.

I've read at least 100 reviews on the AKG 550, and it has a good reputation for sound. The Shure 940 also is excellent, quite neutral. And the Soundmagic HP100 that I haven't heard I've been told by a few people that it's very good as well. For maximum detail (and of course the risk of harshness or sibilants with bad recordings) the Shure 940 and AKG 550 would be the best bets I think, or the HP100 for less detail and less potential harshness.

Closed Back Headphones

5. emilio89

emilio89 New Member

Thanks for your advice. Detail and especially the sensation of depth and distance (i.e. listening to an orchestra playing and getting the feel that some of the instruments are closer than others) are important, but I am also going to use the headphones to listen to lots of mp3 where perhaps the added clarity is a bit wasted. As I said I need something versatile. I like the look of the HP100 a lot, and the AKG 550 looks even better (i like that it has an open sound despite the closed back), but the price is a bit steep so I will have to think it over carefully.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  6. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Feel free to ask any questions which might help:)