Advice on which IEM's to buy?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by drjj, Jan 4, 2012.

1. drjj

drjj New Member

Hi
    I have just upgraded from the Shure 215 to the Klipsch x10i and wow the sound is amazing is amazing compared to the Shures. I am enjoying my music library again! I am no audiophile but appreciate the sound of my music. I have now entered a world of IEM's and am looking to upgrade again. I listen to music from my iPhone and listen to House, R and B, pop and rock music. I do not want amps etc. I am interested in Grado GR10, Monster turbine pro copper, Sleek Audio SA7.
    For over the ear phones, I am interested in Shure 535, Phonak Audeo 232.
    Please could I have your views on the above earphones as you know it is difficult to try before you buy!

Cheers

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi drjj

Who are your favourite artists? I have a feeling that it is the detail from the X10's Balanced armature driver as well as their excellent control over such a big bottom end that you are loving.

Could you try to describe where you feel the X10's lack? It is quite hard recommending the expensive in ears as they are all really good so any opinions would help me help you:)

3. drjj

drjj New Member

Hi Robin

I am happy with the x10i and the way you described them is exactly what I hear. After reading many reviews and you top ten earphones there are those earphones on my list I would like to buy. I would like to get the best earphones I can afford. I suppose it it the law of diminshing returns like buying Hi-Fi equipment (how much more detail can you hear as the price goes higher and higher!)

I do like the sound of x10i but I would like to buy a high level non custom iem. Even if you could break it down to a couple on my list or give a brief description of what those iems are best suited for?
    Much appreciated.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Shure 535 and Phonak Audeo 232 are both superb - These earphones have great removable cabling and really do suit contemporary music, very much including Urban styles. The GR10 are a bit more Classic Hifi, SA7 are not available in the UK yet, I haven't heard these but my colleage was very enthusiastic about them. Monster turbine pro copper didn't blow me away but I appreciated their smooth feel.

The trouble is that these earphones cannot be arranged into some sort of objective hierarchy. They are all really good! Which of these you will like the most is really subjective. As I don't know you or your tastes very well I cannot tell you which suits you best.

All of the mentioned headphones have qualities which I believe elevate them above the X10i, but in different ways.

5. drjj

drjj New Member

Thanks

My music taste is varied from House/Electronica (Hedkandi, Ministry of Sound) to R&B and Hip Hop, and current pop chart music. ( I do not listen to classical, folk or jazz).
    I had the Shure 215 but found them too bulky in the ear. Are the 535 the same size as the 215?
    How does the 535 and Phonak 232 and weston 3 or 4 fit, ie which are comfortable?

I like more accuracy and detail with bass similar or more than the x10i.
    The Phonaks seem sensible as bass/treble can be adjusted but does it make a difference?

Cheers