Advice over ear headphones for around £100

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Twombly, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Twombly

Twombly New Member

The primary use of them will be for PC gaming, but also music (via PC, laptop and iPod). I listen to drum and bass mostly, so I want headphones that can provide good bass. They would be used almost entirely at home so portability, size and amazing style isn't that important. I don't want to spend too much more than £100. Spending less would be better but I think I'd spend £130 if it was a really high quality product that would last me a long time.

I'm not really sure about open vs closed back headphones. I'd prefer less sound leaking and blocking external noise from closed back headphones, but I don't think it would be completely necessary.

Logitech G35s and Sennheiser PC 350s were recommended by gamers and I started looking at Roccat but I wondered if those were too gimmicky (I liked the price, though).

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

PC gaming headphones normally have at least some advantage towards gaming (mic, virtual surround sound) but are pretty poor in the main for listening to music. Decent headphones work great for gaming so I would focus on your music tastes unless you need a mic.

With your music tastes, bass is going to be the important area. Your choice should also take comfort into account as it sounds like these could be glued to your head!:)

Denon AH-D1100 Closed Back Stereo Headphones (AHD1100)
    £99.95 - These would work well, comfy, bassy and warm with a decent sense of space.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £134.95 - These are even better on the detail and sound great with contemporary music, comfy too.

If you follow this thinking you should get something great - feel free to run other options past people here.

3. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

Have a look at these babies:

AiAiAi TMA-1 Dynamic Closed-Back Stereo DJ Headphones with Mic (TMA1)
    £159.95

They may be abit higher than your price-range, but these are underrated little puppies. I remember having a listen to them awhile back, and the only reason I went for my beyers was because I'm a brand geek. Truly wonderful sound, and a decent bass reproduction as well :)

4. Rayleigh Silvers

Rayleigh Silvers New Member

What kind of pc gaming do you mean? Is it online multiplayer? Do you need a mic?