Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by scumidol, Oct 27, 2010.

1. scumidol

scumidol New Member

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones as a Christmas gift and I have no idea where to start...other than as early as October!

I've been looking at Sennheiser headphones after doing some reading - they're reasonably priced, I don't really want to spend more than £200!

If you have any recommendations that would be really helpful.

These are what I've been looking at so far: Sennheiser HD-25-SP-II, Sennheiser HD 25-SP II closed dynamic headphones, Sennheiser HD 280 Sennheiser HD280 Pro Black and Sennheiser HD650 are a lovely design! Sennheiser HD 650

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. scumidol

scumidol New Member

P.S

Does anyone have any opinion on Skullcandy? I've read some good and bad things - I like the fact they come with a lifetime warranty - and £17ish for in-ear headphones is reasonably priced for a fashionable gift for a teenager - just not sure how good they sound?

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphone advice

All the Sennheiser headphones you mentioned are excellent, although all designed for very different purposes.

The HD25 are on-ears designed for recording engineers, but very suitable for portable use with MP3 players.

The HD280 is another professional headphone designed for recording engineers and has a very clean, accurate sound. The HD280 has quite light bass response.

The HD650 is most definitely a home listening Hi-Fi headphone with an open back (sound leaks in and out). This headphone needs a really good headphone output to get the best out of it. In fact we would recommend a dedicated headphone amplifier with this model.

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Skullcandy headphones

Skullcandy headphones are definitely all about fashion. Some models sound OK, but you don't buy them for their sound! :D