Advice re headphones for tv

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by riordanc, Feb 6, 2014.

1. riordanc

riordanc New Member

I'm looking for wireless headphones for my elderly dad who has hearing difficulties to help him when he's watching TV. He is in a shared room in a nursing home (so it would be necessary that him using the headphones with the TV wouldn't affect the volume of the TV if other people in the room are watching it) and the TV is wall mounted about 20 feet away from his bed. Is the TV Ears 2.3 Wireless Voice Clarifying Listening System (TV-Ears) the best option for him? It sounds like it ticks all the boxes for his difficulties and environment, but I just wanted to double check before ordering.

Many thanks

2. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

When plugging headphones to a TV, as long as they aren't plugged into the headphone socket, the sound won't be cut out. You will need to plug the transmitter (base unit) into the TV by either the phono RCA connections or the scart socket using the adapter supplied. We have an article on our blog that explains this - Read here.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

3. riordanc

riordanc New Member

Great, many thanks

4. Ding Duck

Ding Duck New Member

Hi,
    I'm also looking for headphones for my dad to watch telly :) I've sort of narrowed the selection down to Sennheiser IS 410 TV and Sennheiser RS 4200. I can't see any difference between them apart from the range, wonder if that's correct? :S Also, if someone has any other suggestions, I'd be very glad to hear them! Thanks a lot! :)

5. john-hifi

The main differences between the 2 mentioned is that the IS 410 TV uses Infra Red - this means that you get clearer sound and there will be pretty much no interference. The down side is that the headset has to be in line of sight with the transmitter so nothing can block the signal.

The RS 4200 uses RF so the range is much bigger - you can even use them in a different room or out in the garden. As the signal is RF there is chance of interference.

Another worth looking at is the Sennheiser SET 840 TV. These also use RF but the sound quality has been improved over the RS 4200.

6. Ding Duck

Ding Duck New Member

Thanks a lot! The headphones will greatly enhance my dad's everyday life :)

7. john-hifi

Great! I hope he enjoys them :)