AKG 242 HD or else?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Winson, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Winson

Winson New Member

Hi guys,

I am currently using the Sennheiser 25-1 II but I am still looking forward to grab a better (if it's possible)... I am looking into AKG 242 HD and read some reviews and articles about it and find it fits me quite well. However, it will still be great if you (experts) could give me a better choice other than AKG 242 HD (if there is one) so that i could make a good buy and no regrets.

The sennheiser 25-1 II i am using right now satisfy me quite well but during long hours of listening to it, my ear hurts. So I am planning to get a a bigger one so that my ear wont hurt, and in the meanwhile it still gives good music and sound for me.

I listen to quite wide range of music but prefer house, hip-hop and pop music. Most of the time I will be using my headphones will be at home, buses, trains, and vacation. The choices of price will be around 200-250 pounds.... but if it could give a good quality ones, i could further up to 275 pounds (as i was looking into monster beats studio too).

I hope someone here could help me up with it.

Cheers.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Winson,

So you like the HD 25 but you want to go for something more comfortable with a bit of improvement in the sound. It is interesting that you are considering the Monster Beats Studio - Whilst this headphone is not without the merits of increased street credibility within some circles it is not the audio equal of similar priced products.

What kind of music do you like? Are you after a really bass heavy sound?

Some peoples answers to these questions may point towards the Beats Studio but by far the biggest reason to choose them would be a fashion choice as opposed to sonic preference.

3. Winson

Winson New Member

I was considering Studio before because mainly the design and the bass is quite strong too... In addition to that, I was once a beats solo HD user and I dont like it... The deep bass they have hurt my ear especially in long hours time. So one of the music producer suggested HD 25 to me and i like the sound as they do not have really deep basses that could hurt my ears, clean music and could hear most of the sound, the bass was quite comfort especially when i was listening to house music. I was quite happy with it but my ear do hurts during long hours because it is on ear headphones. So i was planning to look for a bigger one that could fit my entire ear in it.

Before considering AKG, I looked into Bose and other sennheiser brands as well and cannot really make a decision on which one to buy as I did not try those myself.

Bass musics will be great for me but I dont want deep bass like beats give...

Hope this could help you understand my needs?
    Cheers

4. RobinHiFi

Have a look at these first - They are far superior to the Beats Studio and less money - These immediately spring to mind as better options than the Beats.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £119.95

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)
    £129.96

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95 - If they had made the Studios properly they would be this headphone.

Denon AH-D2000 Closed Back Stereo Headphones
    £227.95

Ultrasone PRO750 Closed-Back Professional Headphones (PRO 750)
    £249.96

Shure SRH940 Professional Closed Back Headphones (SRH 940)
    £249.00 - Not quite available yet.

The main problems I have with the Beats Studio are

1- They are not in any way, shape or form useable as a Studio headphone, they are a really inaccurate bass heavy fashion headphone. Only a complete amateur or someone with severely damaged hearing would claim that these are a useful audio tool.

2 - They are stupidly expensive for what you get - the price can only reflect the massive marketing costs of paying American rappers and American Idol contestants / guests to wear them - This has nothing to do with making or listening to music and is totally dishonest in a way no other brand has ever been guilty of.

3 - If people like the sound then good for them. I personally think they are far too bassy with a phantom centre entirely dominated by the bottom end. This leaves the mids squeezed and the wings left and right sounding flat and distant. The all over effect is indistinct, inaccurate and artificial with a recessed vocal - to me they are the headphone equivalent of a teenagers thumpy car stereo that costs the earth but is pretty much pointless for listening to music, they are a fashion statement with no audio credibility.

Harsh but fair;)

5. Winson

Winson New Member

I agree with your feedbacks on Beats studio as well and that's the reason why I never consider after I had those Beats Solo HD.

From the list you gave me, the Denon AH-D2000 and the Shure SRH840 look good. However, could you help give further details on these two headphones? I hope I am not asking too much now. ^^

6. RobinHiFi

Not at all... ask whatever you like:D

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95 -

These are superbly built, really nice quality of every part, very sturdy but also lightweight, foldable and genuinely portable. Comfy ear cups, the best design of a resilient headband I have seen, replaceable cable - part coiled, part straight which is useful for being mobile as well as not running over it with your office chair. Really great sound, very hard to argue with the excellent job Shure have done - The sound is chunky and contemporary but broadcast quality.

Denon AH-D2000 Closed Back Stereo Headphones
    £227.95 -

Again these are beautifully built, solid and well thought out but less portable as a bit larger. Comfy, not too heavy, the main point is the sound though. You have to spend more than twice as much to get a substantial audio improvement from a closed back. When designing new closed backs I know these are the starting point for many audio designers and the sound benchmark for many reviewers.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more specific questions:)