AKG K545 vs Soundmagic HP150

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by RaggedyFox, Jan 9, 2015.

1. RaggedyFox

RaggedyFox New Member

It seems that these are similar and competitive headphones but I haven't found a direct comparison as yet.
    I'm going to get detailed somewhat balanced headphone that's good for alternative, jazz, rock, and some classical but has a fun edge.
    Which of the K545 or HP150 is richer and more engaging?

I've had the Sennheiser Momentum and loved the tonality but found it not so 'toe-tapping' and a little veiled. Vibrancy and PRat make a killer combination :) Also I don't currently use an amp.
    Thanks

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Looking at the Amazon reviews of the K545 (sorted by latest first), they seem very iffy. I did have the HP150, which is an ideal fit for average ears, and a great spacious sound for a closed headphone.

3. RaggedyFox

RaggedyFox New Member

One thing the k545s were praised for is sounding more alive than most neutral headphones. Would you say the same for the hp150? Its very subjective but 'soulfulness' paired with this quality would be stunning :)

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I can't say the same for the HP150. It is good, but the AKG K712 I had recently would more likely fit that description - and here across the pond in the U.S., they sell typically for $350.

5. RaggedyFox

RaggedyFox New Member

A bit out of my price range; it goes for equivalent of 440 dollars over here (eek). I was looking at the likes of Ultrasone 680, beyer dt770, akg k550, k545, momentum, in price and this would also be my first venture into balanced sound - hence the question of energy. A light v-shape is fine by me so long as it doesn't skew some genres.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Momentum is a 'Lifestyle' sound - quite different from the AKG's. For a good analysis of the 545 and 550, Headfonia and NobleHiFi have great reviews on them. Ultrasones are known for brightness and a "razor sharp" sound. The DT770 is another very different sound - I call it "cavernous".

7. RaggedyFox

RaggedyFox New Member

I tried on a few bose sets in an apple store. I might have a preference for less 'hard' and more full sound. What might you suggest in this price range? Would the yamaha mt220, ath ws99 or stack up.

thanks, the ultrasone and dt770 don't sound like my deal.

8. RaggedyFox

RaggedyFox New Member

I tried on a few bose sets in an apple store. I might have a preference for less 'hard' and more full sound. What might you suggest in this price range? Would the yamaha mt220, ath ws99 or stack up. I don't mind a small bass emphasis as long as it doesnt overstep itself.

also thanks, the ultrasone and dt770 don't sound like my deal.

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Yamaha is a very good headphone. The sennheiser HD380 Pro is very similar and also quite good. The WS99 has rather extreme colorations. In Audio-Technica's lineup, most of the on-ears are very very colored and very treble shy.