AKG K550 vs DT770 for gaming & music

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by rukh, Apr 15, 2014.

1. rukh

rukh New Member

Hey guys! Firstly thanks a lot for the effort you put into these forums helping people (e.g. Dale's 770 review) and the detail in your posts - I think I've now read most of the posts on these forums and they've all been very helpful :)

I'm looking to buy a pair of closed circumaural headphones for around £/$150 (I live in London but will be in the US next week and can flex price if need be) that I will mainly connect to my PC to play games (whilst my flat mate watches TV next to me) but also listen to music (mainly pop, rock, classical), but could also connect to my iphone or sonos speakers in my bedroom on a whim.

I guess soundstage is important (for gaming) but most importantly I want to enjoy my gaming and music (so don't need it to be reference; happy for the headphones to have colour/personality).

I originally looked at headsets (I'd love to get the G4ME Zero and nearly bought the Astro A40s) but I've subsequently decided to go headphones and a separate mic.

I considered the A700x, Philip L1s, briefly the HD598s (but I think my flatmate would kill me if I got open cans), agonised over the M50x and finally settled on the DT770 32ohm, when I found a local hifi company selling the AKG K550s for the same price. I hadn't considered them earlier as they were out of the price range, but now I'm in a quandary... should I go the DT770s or the K550s?

Thanks for the help in advance :D

PS I could buy a FiiO E11, but then I'd be tempted to invest in an Astro MixAmp to get 7.1, but that needs Dolby Digital Live which my onboard soundcard can't do for games which is infuriating and the whole extra piece of equipment sounds like too much effort, so I've dropped the idea!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Definitely the DT770-32. It has the comfort, the perfect color, enough bass, etc. The K550 is notorious for fit problems, insufficient bass, and so on. The K550 review on headfonia and the attached comments should convince anyone.

3. rukh

rukh New Member

I found the Headfonia review (AKG K550 Review) quite complimentary; although perhaps you were referring to the remarks that the K550 is 'moderately relaxed'? I did try a pair on today and for me the fit was comfortable (although I'd want them slightly tighter for better bass) and the sound was excellent (and that's the best I can do I'm afraid) for a wide range of tracks. However, when I randomly tried a pair of open Grado SR80i I found I struggled to jump from track to track as I was enjoying listening to the music - something I sadly didn't get when listening to the K550s.

I will take your advice on the DT770s. I tried to find a shop today to try them on, but can only find a distributor in Surrey. I guess I'll order from Amazon and hope for the best!

Lastly, any thoughts on surround sound, headphone amps and DACs? Am I stupid for not bothering with these things?

Thanks,
    Warren

4. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member