AKG K701 Vs AKG K601

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by kelvinmunson, Jan 16, 2011.

1. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

I listen to a wide variety of music from Jazz, Fusion through Rock, Prog. Electronic, Ambient and Classical.......... I use an Marantz PM66SE integrated amplifier.

I was looking at a pair of AKG K701s and saw that the K601s can be found at a considerably lower price........ Anybody compared the two and can advise on relative merits and the benefit of investing in the more expensive K701s ?

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

I have to say that I haven't tried these side by side, although have spent some time with both.

They both have a similar sound signature, which is very detailed and accurate. Both need a lot of driving to get the best out of them, which means you really need to consider a good headphone amp to pair with them. This obviously drives the cost up significantly, as you will need to think about an amp from a brand such as Graham Slee, Icon Audio, Lehmann Audio.

I personally find the AKGs a little cold and clinical for my tastes. They sound quite dull and lifeless in my opinion. With the right headphone amp they can come a little more to life, but too laid back for me.

Another headphone worth considering is the Beyerdynamic DT880 (available in various impedances). I would say this headphone is more balanced than the AKG models, with a warmer presentation as well as plenty of detail and separation.

3. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

Thanks for that Shaun; while looking at what was available I had considered the Beyerdynamic phones...... particularly the DT990.... which is again open backed.... but several people I spoke with commented that they tend to have a rather pronounced bass.

I understand this is particularly so in the case of the closed back DT770......and I presume this is also the case also with the DT880, which is semi open ? I guess this is what makes them sound less "lifeless and dull" ?

Regarding the need headphone amplifier, while the Marantz does a reasonable job for now,I was already thinking along the lines of investing in one so this really doesn't influence my choice.

I will certainly take note of what you have said and will find somewhere I can actually audition some of these products.

4. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

Looking at the DT880 I see that the DT990 can be purchased at a significantly lower price.

In what way does the performance of the DT880 exceed the DT990 and is it worth the extra 50% price tag ?

5. Shaun-HiFi

Yes, the DT770 does indeed have quite a pronounced bass response. This warm presentation can be a lot of fun for listening to music with powerful bass lines (e.g. dubstep, drum and bass, etc), but also have great positional accuracy.

It would be a stretch to call the DT880 cold and clinical, but it definitely is not a bass monster. I find the DT880 very balanced.

The DT990 is also an excellent pair of headphones. They are incredibly accurate and very suitable for studio work or for those who like to to hear every last detail in their music. The fully open design does mean bass response is not overly pronounced.

6. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

Thanks for that Shaun, very useful to see your opinion; looks like a close call between the DT880 and DT990........

7. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

Akg k701

Just to close this thread out......... after some listening trials I eventually went for the AKG K702s.......... and I am absolutely delighted with them......... even straight out of the box.

Their detail and accuracy exceeds any expectations I have had of using headphones...... even though I am still using them with my Marantz PM66-SE.

Next on the shopping list is a good headphone amp to pair with them...... at the moment this will probably be one of the models from Graham Slee, or Lehmann Audio.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  8. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

The Final Word.......... While looking into Headphone Amplifiers I couldn't resist a hefty discount I was offerred on a Creek Audio OBH 21SE............. which is currently on-it's-way.........

I am told these have good synergy with the AKGs; can't wait to find out !

9. Shaun-HiFi

Akg k702

Great to hear your feedback on the K702. Thanks for sharing it.

Would be great to hear how you get on with amps. This headphone seems to be particularly effected by the choice of amp. I remember walking round with this headphone at a Head-fi meet plugging them into different amps and being amazed at the differences it made.

Another headphone that compares very well for clarity and accuracy with the AKG range, but have more warmth, is the German Maestro GMP400.

German Maestro were originally called MB Quart and have a long history of developing high end audio equipment. The GMP 400 is a studio quality open back headphone that sits somewhere between the AKG range and Beyerdynamic for sound signature, i.e. accurate with some warmth. I'd recommend doing your own research on these truly excellent headphones.

10. readgood

readgood Banned

me too

me too,do you have other advice.thank you