Akg k702 burn in.

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Jellwen, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Jellwen

Jellwen New Member

Purchased these phones 2 days ago, I'm running them from ipad +camera connection kit + fiio eo7 andes. I understand these phones take a lot of burn in but just wandering if voices sounding a bit thin and grated is normal during this process. Most of my music is in lossless format.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The actual sound of a high quality headphone will change only about one decibel as a result of burn-in. See Innerfidelity tests on this. Since headphone sound varies by many times this amount, even between samples of the same headphone, burn-in is negligible and mostly amounts to getting used to the sound.

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

AKG K702 burn in

I agree with Dale. Burn in is not going to dramatically change the sound.

For example I have owned a pair of Sennheiser HD650s for nearly four years and they have had regular use (2 hours a week). When I compare my headphones with a pair of new HD650s fresh from the box I can hear that my pair sounds smoother and more refined, without some of the harshness of the new pair.

The AKG K701 and K701 are very particular about the source amp. Despite their low impedance rating they need quite a bit of driving. Otherwise they do sound thin and lifeless.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

One thing I forgot - although the short-term changes should be minimal, there could be a more substantial change after a few months of heavy use if the earpads suffer a lot of wear, especially the velour types of earpads.

5. Jellwen

Jellwen New Member

That's cool Shaun, I don't want to dramatically change them just a little bit more refined will do fine. I appreciate my amp is probably not ideal for the job.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The K70- series respond very differently to different kinds of amp. They like powerful desktop amps - if you have the chance to try them with several different amps it will help you to choose one that digs up the right sound for you from your nice new cans.:)

7. Jellwen

Jellwen New Member

Sent the fiio back, it just seemed to make them louder, not bigger and fuller and no more separation. How about graham slee voyager, I don't want to be tied to a wall wart if possible, but if that's the way it has to be so be it! What would be the minimum I would need to do the k702's justice? Also what's your views on using i devices as front end with no external dac just an amp? Thank you all for your time.

Ps I'm not planning on taking these outdoors.

8. RobinHiFi

It's not a problem, ask as many questions as you would like!:)

What is your source? An external DAC definitely helps with laptop noise and normally gives cleaner instrument separation and more detail - that doesn't make them neccessary though. If you are using a device with a quite average DAC setup you need to concentrate on the cabling as a way of sharpening up the sound and getting better bass definition and depth. If you feel the sound is lacking bass then pure copper is the way to go - you don't need to go crazy, just decent quality. The Graham Slee Voyager would be a good choice, it is powerful and will probably find the depth E07 lacked, another choice might be the Just Audio AHA-120 or the uHA-120. Check out these really nice interconnects as well, you should definitely be able to hear the difference - despite it being a small difference it should be quite satisfying for the price. You could always add a DAC later, if £500 doesn't scare you and you plan to use a laptop we will be getting the Just Audio DAC amp soon which I have had a go with - It is excellent! :)

Graham Slee Voyager Portable Headphone Amplifier
    £192.00

Just Audio Black & Gold Angled 3.5mm Interconnect Cable (10cm)
    £32.00

Just Audio Black & Gold Straight 3.5mm Interconnect Cable (10cm)
    £29.00

Just Audio uHA-120 Headphone Amplifier Anodised Silver (uHA120)
    £219.95

Just Audio AHA-120 Class A Headphone Amplifier Silver (AHA120)
    £348.49

9. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

AKG K702 running in

I would be concerned that the Graham Slee Voyager would not have the power to drive the AGK K701/K702. I haven't tried it myself, but it's my gut feel that you may need the power of the Just Audio AHA-120 to make the K702 really sing.

My recommendation would definitely be to try before you buy. We have a headphone demo room for just that requirement! :)

10. Jellwen

Jellwen New Member

My source is an ipad, thank you for your suggestions on amps and cables, as I said it does not have to be a portable amp especially if similar priced headphone amps will give a lot better results. I would like more separation and a bit more natural sounding especially in the upper mids, thank you again for time and help.

Your demo room sounds the business but unfortunately I live in leeds.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  11. RobinHiFi

That would be a long way to come! If you ever are going to be down South we are only an hour from central London on the train, just outside Brighton. You would obviously be most welcome:)

This is really pricey but really impressive with iDevices. I have some Beyer T1 (600 Ohms) and this has enough power to light up even the quietest classical tracks.

Fostex HP-P1 Portable DAC & Headphone Amplifier for iPod/iPhone
    £499.00

The Graham Slee Solo is my favourite full size amp for the K701, it finds some extra sparkle and really opens them up.

Graham Slee Solo Intro Headphone Amplifier
    £369.24

12. Jellwen

Jellwen New Member

Thanks for that I am only about 30 miles from graham slee will give him a call and go demo that. Just come back from demo of vcan 2 but that did not come up to expectations, think I preferred the fiio I returned. Wish I lived closer to your place sounds like I would come home with a suitable set up.

13. RobinHiFi

It is a shame - testing several things against each other is obviously the easiest way to make a decision. Hope the Graham Slee demo goes well. You should post about what you end up with and why you picked it, that is the kind of thing that really helps other people pick:)

14. Jellwen

Jellwen New Member

Hello again, yes I went and had a demo of graham slee voyager, which made the sound cleaner than straight out of ipad, but no more power really. That's about my budget for amp or dac/amp combo.

I am now considering returning the akg's for maybe a different set up. As I listen to a wide variety of music styles, and at best quality is lossless cd rips.

Maybe the akg's are a bit too high demanding for my budget?

I do find them a little bit too bright but again that could be down to my budget to drive them properly. I do like the openness and space of the open back design though, that's really nice.

If I do return them that would give me a budget of up to £400.

Thank you again for your time, really wish your place was not so so far away.

15. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I really love the sound of my Soundmagic HP200. Much better than the Shure 1840 or 1440, better than Sennheiser 600/650/Momentum, etc. This is the best open-back headphone I've heard below the HD800.