all-round open headphone recommendation

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by rochester21, Jul 14, 2011.

1. rochester21

rochester21 New Member

Hello, everyone. for a while now, i`m trying to figure out what would be the best choice for a pair of open headphones. i usually listen to roxette, ace of base, celine dion, enya and others, similar to this. as a source, i use my computer(flac, but also mp3s), and my portable equipment, made up of lots of sony walkmans( HD5, cassete and cd-players). as for the sound, i like it to be balanced, with soft low ends(not too punchy), very good mid frequencies, with emphasis on vocals, and decent high frequencies. until now, i have used cheap low-end panasonic headphones, technics, sennheiser px-250, hd218, and i just ordered a pair of hd238. the px-250 had a very strong bass, that was too much for my ears, while the HD218 had a dark sound, and the mids weren`t that great. i hope the hd238 will be better, but i was wondering what should i get the next time i upgrade- i heard good things about grado SR60i, but also about Akg or high-end sennheiser headphones. what do you think i should get, for less than 200 usd ? every opinion is welcomed ! :)
    by the way, i`m interested only in open-air design headphones, since i usually listen music while at home, without any company :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi rochester21

It sounds like you are not a fan of a big warm sound, you are clean and bright all the way - This makes me think that you would probably love some Grados or maybe (even though you said you were not interested in closed backs) some Ultrasone HFi780 which are quite incredible for their sense of space despite the closed back. The Ultrasone Headphones have something called S Logic which clones an open back type sound but with the benefits of a closed back.

Both of these have low nominal impedance and can be driven easily from an iPod with no need for an amp. I would get the Grado closest to your budgets top as they all have a similar feel but get better as the price increases. Avoid all Sennheisers as they are warm and lazy with slightly elevated bass.

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Open Back Hi-Fi Headphones (AD 700)
    £99.95

The AD700 is an excellent headphone but has a very light fit on the head, it is best to only use this headphone whilst relaxing as many finds it slips off during activity or bending over - Extremely comfortable though:)

3. rochester21

rochester21 New Member

thank you for your reply. the ATH-AD700 are interesting, but more expensive and harder to find in my region than the grados. so for my next upgrade, i`l try to get a good deal on the SR60i :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I'm sure you will love them:)