Alternative to Sennheiser HD 555

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Lingz, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Lingz

Lingz New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    A few months ago I decided to invest in a decent pair of headphones, and bought the Sennheiser HD 555 after all the good reccomendations. I've used them for a few months now and have been fairly dissapointed with them, they sound dull and lack in bass. I listen to most genres of music but in particular hip-hop; which I find these headphones are not all that suitable for. So I am now thinking of selling my Sennheiser's and getting another pair, with are more suitable for me, with my budget being anything under £120.

Any reccomendations?

Would the Grado SR60i/Audio Technica ATH-AD700 be good choices?

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Sennheiser HD555 alternative

Yep, the Sennheiser HD555 is really very light on bass. Great for classical and jazz maybe, but definitely not a headphone for hip hop.

Are you looking to stay with open back headphones? The reason I ask is that open back headphones are normally a little lighter on bass, so closed back may be worth looking at if you want more power at the bottom end.

The Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 is an excellent headphone although also quite bass light, so probably not for you.

The Grado SR60i/SR80i has a richer, warmer sound and suits all kinds of styles of music. I'm a bit of a Grado fan, so probably biased. They are definitely not bass monsters, but much better balanced than the Sennheiser HD555.

The Beyedynamic DT770 is a great choice for well defined, deep bass. They are also super comfortable and very robustly made. Highly recommended.
  3. geoffbrecker

geoffbrecker New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yeah you want a closed headphone for thumping bass but keep in mind that open headphones may have a lighter low end the bass is of a much higher quality. This is because there are way fewer standing waves inside the earpieces.

So do you want quality bass or just BBBOOOOMMMM? LOL