Alternative to Sennheiser HD 555

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Lingz, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Lingz

Lingz New Member

A few months ago I decided to invest in a decent pair of headphones, and bought the Sennheiser HD 555 after all the good reccomendations. I've used them for a few months now and have been fairly dissapointed with them, they sound dull and lack in bass. I listen to most genres of music but in particular hip-hop; which I find these headphones are not all that suitable for. So I am now thinking of selling my Sennheiser's and getting another pair, with are more suitable for me, with my budget being anything under £120.

Any reccomendations?

Would the Grado SR60i/Audio Technica ATH-AD700 be good choices?

Thanks

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Sennheiser HD555 alternative

Yep, the Sennheiser HD555 is really very light on bass. Great for classical and jazz maybe, but definitely not a headphone for hip hop.

Are you looking to stay with open back headphones? The reason I ask is that open back headphones are normally a little lighter on bass, so closed back may be worth looking at if you want more power at the bottom end.

The Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 is an excellent headphone although also quite bass light, so probably not for you.

The Grado SR60i/SR80i has a richer, warmer sound and suits all kinds of styles of music. I'm a bit of a Grado fan, so probably biased. They are definitely not bass monsters, but much better balanced than the Sennheiser HD555.

The Beyedynamic DT770 is a great choice for well defined, deep bass. They are also super comfortable and very robustly made. Highly recommended.

3. geoffbrecker

geoffbrecker New Member

Yeah you want a closed headphone for thumping bass but keep in mind that open headphones may have a lighter low end the bass is of a much higher quality. This is because there are way fewer standing waves inside the earpieces.

So do you want quality bass or just BBBOOOOMMMM? LOL