Amp and over ear headphones for my system?

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by david12, Sep 17, 2015.

1. david12

david12 New Member

I have been into HiFi for 30 years and never felt the need for Cans. I Live in a Victorian terrace and never play that loud, but am fed up with the banging on the wall at 10pm, when my neighbour is trying to sleep. Fair enough, I do'nt like disturbing people.

So I need a headphone system for evening use use, it does'nt have to have absent sound leakage. I Have a vinyl and computer based system, the latter using an Ayre QB9. So I think I need a headphone amp, not amp and DAC. I use a Modwright 36.5 pre, with an RCA tape out, I believe I can use into a headphone amp.

I listen about 50 percent classical, the rest everything else, Jazz, blues, some rock, singer songwriter.

I do'nt care about the technology, planar, dynamic, electrostatic, just good quality at a sensible price. To me that is up to £800 for amp and headphones, less if possible, or a bit more for something exceptional. I will be at the HiFi show at Whitelbury this weekend, so I will go to the headzone. Some pointers where to be looking, would be very helpful, thanks.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I too have been into hi-fi for 30 years, mostly headphones, and I've never known a person who isn't really into headphones to use the term 'cans'. It makes me think you know a good bit already. Your price level is another strong indicator of headphone knowledge. The third clue is your title "over ear", which says that you know what fit you want (examples: on-ear, around-ear, partly on and partly around ear). So if you could be more specific about your needs then one of the members here might have some suggestions. If you need a consultation in order to explore a wide range of options, please call the phone no's listed - there are some very knowledgeable people there.

3. candykrushme

candykrushme New Member

I would probably check out one of the guides on pricenfees they seem to know what they're talking about as far as hi-fidelity audio equipment goes

4. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member