an experts recommendation please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by 2tricky, Jul 6, 2010.

1. 2tricky

2tricky New Member

Hi

Firstly, hi to everyone as this is my first post.

I'm looking for some advice on which in-ear headphones would be recommended for use on an ipod. I like the idea of the over the ear type, as they would often get used in a gym, and have found that the under ear type occasionally fall out when active! I have a budget of around £100 to play with, and have seen the top 10, read reviews and am still none the wiser! Just seems that there are so many, hence asking someone who actually knows these things! Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Mike

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi 2tricky,

When buying a new headphone or earphone you have to approach the truly bewildering array of excellent products from your own personal perspective. Although the opinions of others will definitely help the name of the game is pleasing yourself - this is why I try to help people find something that suits their tastes as closely as possible. Sometimes if people have already invested in a few pieces of equipment they really like matching a headphone or earphone to these is reasonably simple to help get the best of of the current setup.

We already know your budget but let me know the answer to these questions and then we can recommend you some products your bound to love.

What is your most commonly listened to genre of music?

Who are your three favourite, or most listened to, Acts?

If you imagine listening to your dream setup is it big, warm and relaxing or bright, detailed and exciting - or somewhere in between?

Let me know your thoughts as your budget covers some brilliant earphones.

3. 2tricky

2tricky New Member

Hi Robin

Thanks for your reply.

I tend to listen to the rock genre of music mostly, with Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp & Brandi Carlile (not really rock I know!) among my favourites, but there is a quite an eclectic mix on my play list!

I currently use a pair of Sennheiser CX300's (could it be CX200 as they are maybe 3 years old?) and while the sound they give out is above adequate (but way better than the supplied buds that came with the ipod), am looking for something a little more detailed and exciting. I also use these at the gym, but they also fall out if I'm moving excessively, so am keen on the idea of using them there too, which is why maybe over the ear seems attractive too.

Reviews of the Phonak PFE 012 are very good, which caught my eye, but then again so are reviews of many others too!

So, any further help will be much appreciated too.

Cheers

Mike

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The Phonak's are excellent earphones with the Audeo PFE Perfect Bass (Green Filter) being my favourite model. They are amazingly refined sounding, super clean and crisp. Perfect Bass refers to the fact that they are very well balanced - Punchy with bottom end guts but no muddy hump - these are an excellent choice for the kind of music you like. They will show up the space and quality in the recordings of your favourite songs, probably dig up some details you haven't heard before. These exert the right kind of power so this type of music doesn't come across as processed or overloaded.

The PFE 012 is not supplied with T-130 comply tips so these are a comfy accessory to add.

Another great choice would be the Westone UM1. The weight here is more in the Mids so slightly less detail and a bit more power than the Phonaks. They are used as on stage monitoring by bands like Muse (real pro IEM's for under £100!) but are really highly regarded as earphones, they come with 4 sets of comply tips!

The Sennheiser IE6's are worth a mention, they are more relaxed warm and bassy than the other two, with slightly less in the way of detail.

All three are great headphones but the Phonak's are the ones I would expect you to pick as I would describe them as very Musical but if you like the sound of Westone's these would work well too.

5. 2tricky

2tricky New Member

Many thanks Robin, will be shortly be placing my order with yourselves for the Audeo PFE's.

Cheers

Mike