Another advice question....

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by kinega, May 11, 2013.

1. kinega

kinega New Member

I am looking to get some in-ear headphones, considering the SoundMagic E30 or maybe BeyerDynamic DTX101iE. Will be using them for when away on holiday & for sitting in the garden, source will be iPhone 4 or Creative Vision M.
    My main headphone is BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm, streaming music from my Squeezebox via iPad & Fiio E17. I love this combination but not very portable, hence looking at the above.
    I have never really got on with in-ear phones, can't get them comfortable & keep falling out. Have only really used the cheapo ones that come with your phone or MP3 player. I figure my ears can't be that different to everyone elses & that a better quality set would hopefully fit nicely & sound good.
    So, I'm looking to spend around about £50, ideally with a sound signature similar to my DT770, something that can be driven without the need for the headphone amp and is going to fit comfortably in my ears. I listen to mainly blues, pop/rock.
    Is the DTX101 worth spending the extra over the E30's? anything else I should be considering?
    Many thanks

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

SoundMagic E30 v BeyerDynamic DTX101iE

As I'm sure you've noticed the E30 is quite a different fit to the DTX101iE. The DTX101iE is dead easy to fit as the cabling drops below the ear, whereas the E30 is an IEM fit with over ear cabling.

The over ear cabling fit system is a bit fiddly at first, but I now prefer it. The vast majority of higher end earphones have this type of cable fit system.

Soundwise the E30 is a little more neutral than the DTX101ie. The DTX101ie is more targeted at your average consumer, with a very smooth sound signature. I'm sure you've already found it, but in case not see the review of the E30 by TrustedReviews.com:

SoundMagic E30 review - Headphones - Trusted Reviews

3. kinega

kinega New Member

Thanks for reply, hadn't actually seen that review, so very useful.
    Also just received your email newsletter & just looked at the video for Audiofly range. How do the AF33 or AF45 compare? Seems to be a nice product.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi kinega

The AF33 are great! Somewhere inbetween the SoundMAGIC E30 and E10. AF33 have a slight smile curve to the EQ, not quite as much bass as the E10 but a little more than the quite flat E30. These are all good choices - I don't think there is any need to spend the extra on the Beyer. Although they are nice they don't offer anything extra.:)

5. kinega

kinega New Member

decision made

After much research have decided to go for the E30's
    Order now placed :)