Another 'What In ear'

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by burton, Jan 25, 2011.

1. burton

burton New Member

Hi,

I don't really buy ear phones that much, as I am lucky to be able to have ones that last.

I really need in ear as the old style ones just don't stay in or hurt my ears after wearing them for long periods. (even with the foam)

I bought some Shures in 2004/5 then updated to CX300II in 2009 and was amazed by the difference in sound and loved the 300's, how they fit etc.

Was 30 last year so thought I would treat myself and bought some IE8's but just couldn't get along with them, didn't fit aswell for me in the ears as the 300's, also didn't like the the over the ears fitment. Sound was awesome though but hardly wore them and then sold them only a month or so later.

So I am after something that is a step up in terms of sound, with some nice bass still (do to my music I listen to) but are clear and fit really well.

Thanks

Tom

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Tom

What was it about the fit that did not work for you? Is it the shape or angle of the ear canal? were they a little large? - I know you don't like the over ear fit, was it this that didn't work for you? :)

3. burton

burton New Member

The shape seemed to fine, but I ended wearing them the other way sometimes. They seemed to tug also when walking along. So I think it was the fit even with trying every bud in the pack and the CX300's buds!

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Which in-ear earphone?

I have a pair of Sennheiser IE8s and find the over ear fit works well for me. It does take a bit of getting used to, but well worth the effort in my opinion. I find the over ear cabling actually helps the earphones stay securely in my ear and solves the problem of earphones being tugged from my ear.

Some people actually struggle with the CX300 as the size of the earphone body causes the earphone to not sit correctly in their ear due to it's size.

It's amazing how individual everyone's ears are.

5. burton

burton New Member

Yes indeed, different ear phones and different ears, all make a difference.

I found that I just didn't like the cable being over the ear and coming down. I guess I should of given it more time but I just couldn't wait. So they are sold now and I think I might go for the Beyerdynamic DTX100 after a quick chat with the hifiheadphones store! Very helpful and full of knowledge!

6. leonardyuri

leonardyuri New Member

I agree, there are different kinds of ear phones and headphones in the market. I was fascinated at first about the design and I rushed into buying 2 of them. Unfortunately, without the knowledge on it I was fooled because I never tried it then so when I'm at home and starting using it I found out that it's not that comfortable and that's really s*** but now everytime I go to buy a headphone I made sure it is meant for me. I've sony headphone now and it looks perfectly fine.

7. burton

burton New Member

In the end I was able to pick up some Klipsch S4's for under £50 so went for them. Impressed so far!! Just will need to buy some Comply tips I think.

8. RobinHiFi

The Comply Tips work really well for the majority of people - they are comfy and block more external noise and usually improve bass response if you are having fit problems. :) Comply T-100 for Klipsch S4/S4i

9. burton

burton New Member

Thanks I was able to get some in medium TX range to fit.

I like the sound of the S4's! You can hear the wider sound stage compared to the CX300's! I wonder what the DTX100 are like.

I am tempted to get a Fiio E5 unit also.

10. RobinHiFi

DTX100 are similar with a little more detail - If you like the S4's you are almost certain to like the DTX100:)

If you are struggling for headroom the Fiio E5 is excellent, a surprisingly clean boost at this price!

11. burton

burton New Member

Yes I might keep my eyes out for some DTX100's.

For the money I thought it would be worth a go, also thinking about a LOD for the iPod/Phone

Next is to tackle some over the head can's!

**Thanks for the help etc!! When I phoned up I was helped very well top marks, just a shame I didn't buy from you**

12. RobinHiFi

We can't win them all Burton:D

13. RobinHiFi

Both iBasso cables (CB05 - CB07) are great if you want to go chunkier on the EQ = CB07, if you are looking to focus on detail and want a lighter presentation = CB05.

14. burton

burton New Member

Its a shame but such is this internet life.

I bought a E5, well won it :). So will give that a try, have been breaking in the S4's and they sound awesome! Really happy with them and with the Comply tips make a huge difference on sound and comfort!

Now I have to decide which sort of headphones to go for, open or closed.. Wireless or wired..

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  15. burton

burton New Member

Just digging this up again...

Didn't think that much to the Headphone amp I got and sold it.

Now I am in the market to try some more and looking at the listings on the site, it would appear that the DTX100 are in the sale... so unless something else might sway me I think I will be placing an order at last..

But I am prepared to go higher in price on this set and then just keep them for aslong as possible!!

What do you think?!

16. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

What in-ear headphone?

An earphone just released that has blown us away is the new SoundMAGIC E10. At the price (£35) you will not find anything that is anywhere near close. I recommend doing your own research on this little in-ear wonder...

In my opinion the sound signature of the E10 is not far from the Klipsch S4 and Beyerdynamic DTX100 (warm, chunky bass), but with a whole lot more musical detail.