Any gaming headsets that can do music well?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by WhiteSlate, Mar 8, 2012.

1. WhiteSlate

WhiteSlate New Member

Hey guys
    It's a bit of an odd question, but I'm (casually) interested in music, so I've been looking for a good quality pair of headphones that can play genres like dramatic classical and electronic well. However, I also do a lot of voice-communication and I can't stand desktop-mounted mics, so I've been looking for headsets as well. However, all of the headsets I've found like the Coolermaster Storm Sirus or the Tritton 720 all have excellent game-audio performance, but under-perform with music; I haven't got any interest in gaming audio.
    I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any headsets that combine a microphone with good quality audio, if such a headphone exists - under £150, preferably closer to £100.
    Thanks in advance,
    WS

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Whiteslate

Someone who is a bigger gamer might pull me up on this one but I would just get two separate headphones for this. The mic is the stumbling block here. To my knowledge there are only a handful of genuinely great headphones for music with a mic and they are really quite pricey. I think you could get two for less and both would fit their purpose better than a compromise.

[​IMG]
    Beyerdynamic MMX300 Gaming Headphones (MMX 300)

£294.95

vs

[​IMG]
    Koss SB45 Multimedia Stereo Gaming Headphones in Black & Silver

£29.95

and

[​IMG]
    Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 250Ω (DT 770

£126.95

or

[​IMG]
    Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Open Back Hi-Fi Headphones (AD 700)

£109.96

What do you think?

3. WhiteSlate

WhiteSlate New Member

Thanks for your reply. The issue is that I'd be doing the two at the same time pretty much, but I've thought about it a little more and I think it's worth compromising on the mic to get a better set of headphones. I think I'm going to go for the DT770s.