Any recommendations for good Portable amp for £100??

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by shokka9, Sep 8, 2010.

1. shokka9

shokka9 New Member

Hi guys.....

Me again.

Well after listening to my Shure 840's on my iPhone for a couple of weeks now, and then briefly on a Hi-Fi amplifier, i know that the Shures can go a lot louder and still retain their sound quality.

I am making a custom headphone cable and matching LOD.

So, what i am after is a decent Portable Amp to power my rig.

My max budget is £100 (can go higher, but dont really want to). I have seen the FiiO ranges and the iBasso T4. I need 3.5mm jacks all round (no RCA's).

All i really need is to get the extra db out of my phones, so i can enjoy my music at levels that i shouldnt really do (thats LOUD to you and me).

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

As long as i get some extra volume and can refine the sound (slightly) i dont care about the rest of the features.

As i will be using the LOD, i know the sound output from the iPhone will be better before it even hits the amplifier.

Thanks

2. shokka9

shokka9 New Member

Any thoughts on the FiiO E7?

For the price, it seems excellent value.

I don't need the most prestigous Amp in the world, just something that will add some volume to my iPhone so my Shures can truly re-produce the stupidly high level of volume i need to be hearing.

I think it is ideal for me?

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

FiiO E7

We haven't yet got stock of the FiiO E7, but will be in the next few weeks. It looks very interesting. It's really smart that it has a DAC built in. Will be very interesting to compare with the iBasso range.

If you are just after extra volume then a FiiO E1 or FiiO E5 is all you need.

4. shokka9

shokka9 New Member

Thanks for the reply ShaunG

Well....i have turned to DIY, still awaiting my Techflex (had to cancel order with hypex.co.uk - PLEASE DO NOT USE!! - and re-order with Qables.com). I have a Headphone cable and a LOD cable sat there waiting to be covered, then finished.

I made an LOD cable, so i think i need to use an Amp that it can be used with.....i have a short iPhone dock to 3.5mm jack plug (bout 3-4 inches long) ready for an Amp.

The FiiO E7 is the only Amp that i want to buy at that price, i will upgrade if i think i will gain anything out of it in 6 months or so. Depends how much i like or dislike the E7.

We shall see.

5. shokka9

shokka9 New Member

Little update..

Had the E7 for a little while, its awesome, gives a nice clear sound. The 3 levels of bass extension are really nice.

Used in conjuction with my iPhone4, FiiO L3 cable, and my own made headphone cable.

Results are supberb clarity, quality bass, extra volume and all round GREAT sound.

For the price, the FiiO E7 is a very good buy!

Take care

6. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo New Member

*High Five*

This thread really is the luck of the draw. This was exactly the thread I was looking for. I posted a thread about new headphones to purchase; in Ask the Experts and in the General forums. There's no point in linking to it as this has answered my questions, SRH840s + Amp = Excellent.

I've got a severe interest in the SRH840s and I also have an iPhone 4, although I knew if they were the phones I'd be heading for - I'd need an amp. And an extremely lightweight and portable one at that.

I've seen the E1, which uses the iPhone's direct power source, which I imagine will also drain it severely. Although the E5 comes with it's own built-in power supply which will preserve my iPhone's health and is about the same size as an iPod shuffle. I could also get the E7 for desktop use at home/work, since I wouldn't like to carry around the 'brick' even if it boasts 80+ hours of battery life and seems like a bargain at about £60 for a solid all-round performer.

I feel like I'm slipping down the slippery slope that is 'audiophelia'.

Cheers,
    Jamie.

7. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Portable headphone amp

Just a bit of related news.

SoundMAGIC have just launched the SoundMAGIC A10 headphone amp.

We've got a sample and will be getting stock soon. It's definitely a big improvement over the FiiO E5.