Are my headphones broken?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Headphonic, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Headphonic

Headphonic New Member

Hello

I bought a pair if Aerial7 Tanks a couple of days ago.

I noticed when walking in the street more "outside sound" (from things going by) enters the left can more than the right.

For what its worth, The left can is the side which has the cable going down.

Is this meant to be?

Edit: This is weird but when I wore it the other way around, both of the earcups sound the same. I dunno.

Btw I think I might have explained it wrong. It's not more sound that comes in. It's more like less muffled than the right cup. More clearer. Like placing a cloth on your right ear and a slightly thinner cloth on the left. I hope u understand

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Try experimenting - use a sound that should be the same in both ears, then switch left and right on your head. If you hear very differently when switching sides, then the headphone is unbalanced, otherwise it would seem that one of your ears hears differently.

3. Headphonic

Headphonic New Member

Is this common? Are my headphobes broken?
    Would this in anyway effect the headphones usage experience?

Thanks

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Headphonic,

It is really hard to tell what is going on here without having a go on the headphones myself.

It could be that the ear cup with the cable in it, in this model, has less dampening. Maybe you are more sensitive than most to this.

It could be that they didn't put enough dampening in, therefore they are not quite right and faulty.

It could be that, if you are hearing this whilst playing music, that there is a channel imbalance and one ear is louder than the other - again faulty.

Did you try walking the other way down the same side of the street? The last but most odd thing I can think of is that you are clearly hearing traffic noise from one side of you and the delayed reflection on the other side, it's bouncing off the house or shop fronts.

Let us know if you make a discovery.

5. Headphonic

Headphonic New Member

Hello thanks for the reply.

Today was rainy here in Sydney so I didnt have alot of opportunities to test them out.

Anyways, but during the little chance that I did get to test them, it seems that the sound is coming in through the gaps in the left earcup's cushion and whenever I slightly pressed on the earcup to close up any gaps in the cushion, the noise became as even as the right side

So i tried this with another headphone (my cousins 15 dollar industrie headphones) and there still was a gap between the left cushion and my ear. It seems that the space between my left ear and jaw is less filled than the right. If you can understand what I am saying.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Do you know if replacing the earpads would fix it? Do you remember how it worked when the earpads were new? For instance with me, there are certain on-ear headphones that seal well to my ears that don't work for my wife, because there's a gap at the bottom of the earcup that doesn't close up to her head, and the bass suffers.

7. Headphonic

Headphonic New Member

The music is not effected by this at all for me. It's all excellent