Are SoundMAGIC all they are cracked up to be?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Tokmaz, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Tokmaz

Tokmaz New Member

I have a pair of sennheiser cx-300 IIs, which for the price I paid, I think are fantastic. However I have had them for years, and they are battered, the wire is stripping I have had to replace the jack and buy new ear buds. But I got them for £17. I am looking for a replacement and saw the SoundMAGIC series which are implied to be fantastic value for money, but are they better than my sennheiser s or should I just buy another pair of them? Also, I do like quite powerful bass.

Thanks for the help again,

BTW thanks to Robin, I bought the ath-m50s and I am impressed. If Robin is not the one who answers this post then would you mind passing it on to him that I said thank you.

Edit: I have been looking into headphones and found these:

a-Jays four (I found some for £25)
    sennheiser cx-400 II precision (£40, a little too expensive, but just wondering what you think)

I open to any other suggestions you have.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Tokmaz

Really glad you are enjoying your M50s so much!

The SoundMAGIC E10 gives a decent improvement on the CX300. It has tighter control on the bass which feels less wooly than the CX300, it also digs up a little more detail. All in all they are just a bit nicer, as well as having a better build and looking a bit more current. It certainly isn't night and day, but by putting the two side by side you quickly feel the E10 is the better earphone. Remember that although the CX300 are easy to find really cheap online (normally grey imports) it has a Higher RRP than the E10 - if you bought them in a high street store you would pay more for the Sennheisers!

3. Tokmaz

Tokmaz New Member

Would you say the E10s are the best you could get for around £30?

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

It depends on exactly what you want to get out of your headphones - For someone with mainly contemporary tastes, as most headphones in this price range are quite similar technically, I think they represent the best that anyone has come up with for under £40.

5. Tokmaz

Tokmaz New Member

Thank you very much for the help again.