Are the Audio Technica ATH M50's good for MP3 Player use? (Loud)

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by CoreSaturn, Nov 19, 2012.

1. CoreSaturn

CoreSaturn New Member

I'm thinking of getting these headphones and im wondering if they work well with MP3 players and Phones such as the iPhone 3GS and so forth. As i am aware some headphones do not sound loud enough when used with phones and mp3 players because the devices to not always give out enough power to power the headphones.

My questions is basically are these headphones loud when used with phones and mp3 players?

And am i right in saying its generally the Independence that tends to show if they will be getting enough power or not from the device?

Thanks for any help.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi CoreSaturn

Not all MP3 players are even! The M50 are perfectly easy to drive with a iPhone, iPod Touch, Nano or Classic - They don't really need an amp from most sources but they will come up quiet on some of the smaller MP3 players. The iDevices are in the main about medium power wise, Sony players tend to be quieter. If you have an iDevice you will be fine:)

3. CoreSaturn

CoreSaturn New Member

Thank you for the reply. Do you know what the power value is of an iDevice? Is the power the Independence?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

It is extremely difficult to find a power specification for i-devices, even in a Google search. But the last and best information I had was about 60 milliwatts at approximately 40 ohms.

But the power spec is only part of the story. The M50 headphone is a good choice compared to many other models, but more important is the volume of the music tracks you play. In my own collection I've had many tracks that are too low in volume for even the M50, and so I've increased the volume of those. But you have to be careful about how you increase that volume, so you don't overload the music player even when the volume control is at normal levels.

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The nominal impedance of a headphone is the resistance it offers to the electrical signal. There is also a sensitivity rating on most headphones which gives approximate volume at the driver for a unit of power (Sensitivity: 100dB at 1kHz/mW). The power output of the MP3 player is available in the specs most places they are sold online. It sounds like this will make it easy to work out if they will be loud enough - let me save you the trouble, it doesn't work very well for some reason. I am told that you are still not taking everything into account if you use these specs in a formula. Peoples direct experience is oddly the thing that is most accurate - in most reviews the person will identify the source and whether it was powerful enough - this is what I use even though it is still basically a guess. As a very tame rule, a headphone of 60ohms and above will start to become difficult to drive with a consumer portable player. Home Hifi equipment which is mains powered will normally get you to around 250ohms. Above this you need a powerful dedicated amp.:)