Artists - What are the best consumer IEM's for Live Stage Use?

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Leadsinger777, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Leadsinger777

Leadsinger777 New Member

Just looking for IEM's to use on stage. Oddly enough in general the Shure's I've tried (3 levels 2's, 3's and 4's) aren't really loud enough for me in a live setting. I have a headphone amp that I've been using with my IEM receiver which does help some, but I'm thinking another make/model of IEM's would probably be a better way to go.

I've seen Ultimate Ears Triple. Fi 10's going for about $160 (US) online, so have been thinking about picking up a set of those.
    The Pro UE's are way above my limit. I'd prefer below $250 (US) if possible.

Most important to me on these is mids/hi's and volume. Heavy bass is not a requirement as this will be for listening to vocals only.

Chances are the ones I've been using are plenty loud on their own, but once you add a hard rock band behind me I really struggle to hear them.

Thanks for the input...

Rick

2. Saiyajin

Saiyajin New Member

Now I'm not an artist and know at all how fantastic it might be to be such a person but audiophile. Just like to leave a post if you don't get any replies in here.

Of my experience from my portable rigs, the Triple.fi 10 usually a little easier to drive (louder) than to several other of my phones. I very thinks it's because to their triple drive design that create more SPL, but I will say most important thing for you, is seal. This is crucial on how much you will hear your friends behind you. I saw in your other thread that you lost all tips for your old SCL2's. I'm sure you can find spare tips somewhere for these.
    Better seal would also mean less volume you'll need and probably also on safer levels.

I find the lows not heavy on Triple.fi 10. Solid and just right, so these will suit you here. The highs to me are more dominating the whole presentation and sometimes find them little too much. Comply's usually best here to fix this thing but some may not agree with me in this. This rather more about personal preferences here.
    Triple.fi 10 comes with these foam ear tips and also several silicones tips.
    Just Triple.fi 10 doesn't focus much in the mid area. I just don't have a lot to compare to these in same price area, but to me vocals stand pretty clear.
    Also their large size may not be for everyone.

3. krismusic

krismusic Member

Not that I know much about it but most musicians seem to use customs. Probably to improve isolation. Blasting your ears to hear above the band probably isn't a good idea. If you want to hold the price down maybe custom sleeves for your existing 'phones? Maybe Shaun has experience of musicians. Or can reccomend a supplier who has. Give him a call. He's very friendly and knowledgeable.

4. Leadsinger777

Leadsinger777 New Member

Just not sure who Shaun is... or how to get a hold of him... haha. I'm a newbie here. I'm guessing that's pretty standard info on the boards.

Thanks for the thoughts. Customs are VERY expensive. Most of the local scene doesn't use them at all here in NYC either, so I can't really compare their experiences.

I think custom tips for my existing IEM's might be a good way to go. I'm going to have to look into that for starters.
    Still, will be good to talk to this Shaun guy though and pick his brain as well.

Thanks you guys! I appreciate the great responses.

5. Saiyajin

Saiyajin New Member

No problem Rick.
    Shaun is our super moderator. I think he is the man behind all this. At least he stand for many things here like writing blogs. (great ones)

Yes customs are expensive but no doubt they are the top of the rock on comfort and isolation and so special made for on stage. The cheapest ones I know that to find out there starts around the 300$ mark (without impressions). Even by that, it might be too above your limit.

Going the middle road and get custom tips for universals are usually something I hear good things about.
    Just I read that it's not that they necessary always make iems sounding terrible better, at least I don't believe they would making your old sound like other iems that costing hundreds of dollars above. Maybe a good thing to know. If you really search for an upgrade in sound quality, you should more go for new iems.

Also perhaps take a look at the Westone UM series monitors. These also aimed specially for musicians.

6. Leadsinger777

Leadsinger777 New Member

Hey, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I'll look into the Westone's and also custom tips, at least for now. The pro-stage monitors I've seen are upwards of $1000, and are completely custom. I really want a set of those, but we're putting all our resources into the new CD right now.

Hey, if you guys like Rock music you might want to check out my band. Our new CD is about to be released.

'You can check out final versions of Atom Strange's upcoming release 'Cosmic Disturbance' here!'.
    Anyone want to join the Atom Strange Facebook page is welcome to as well... New songs are loaded there on the bottom left of the page.
    Totally appreciate your support in Music!
    Your comments on Facebook are welcome and appreciated!
    Rick

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010