Astro Gaming Headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by jimmyboi, Sep 17, 2010.

1. jimmyboi

jimmyboi New Member

Hi

Although Astro Gaming Headphones are not sold on here in the UK, I was wandering if someone could tell me if the Astro Gaming Headsets/Amps are any good? Although I spend a lot of time gaming, I watch a lot of movies (probably 50/50 split). Currently using Sennheiser RS140, and fed up with them. If the Astro Gaming is no good, perhaps someone could recommend an alternative set up. Budget is around the £200- £300.

Much appreciated
    James

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi James,

I have not personally tried any of these products so I'm afraid I cannot help you with this particular product line. Please have a look at this excellent headset which we have been steadily supplying to Pro gamers in the UK and USA with very favourable feedback.

Beyerdynamic MMX300 Gaming Headphones (MMX 300)
    £329.95

A very similar headset is used by pilots.

I hope this helps:)

3. jimmyboi

jimmyboi New Member

Thanks for the fast reply. Would you recommend an amplifier to go with these, or use them on their own?

Also, I've been considering in-ear headphones recently, have you had any experience gaming with this type of headphone?

Cheers
    James

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

You shouldn't need an amp as long as you have a good headphone output as they have a low impedance (32ohm) but there is a USB powered output included for those who can use it. If volume is the issue you could use the excellent FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier in Black £19.95 which gives a basic clean boost.

Obviously in ears are used all the time for portable gaming - the big difference between in ears and full size headphones is in where the brain perceives that the sound is coming from. Contemporary Hifi headphones like the Ultrasone Edition 8 and the Beyer T1 work really hard to give a natural feeling that the sound is coming from the direction you are facing and a realistic stereo image giving the impression you are in a room type space with the sound. In ears do not perform this trick as well - although they can create an excellent and vivid 3D image it always feels like this is in your head, somehow this means they never seem as "real".

For gaming I would go for an IEM with excellent separation and wide sound stage for an immersive experience you want the best and widest stereo image possible.

Here are a couple of good choices that fit this brief -

Audeo PFE 012 Perfect Bass Earphones in Black (PFE-012)

£79.95

Westone UM3X In-Ear Isolating Headphones with Replaceable Cable

£279.95

Hope that helps!