ATH A500 fix or replacement

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by sco888, Dec 26, 2015.

1. sco888

sco888 New Member

Hi,

I've got some Audio Technica A500 closed back headphones which I think I bought from you some years ago. Anyway apart from being a little hot in the summer I love them apart from the headband creaks - at first it was just occasional but lately it's got worse and worse and now the slightest movement creates a loud creak which is driving me nuts. I've taken them apart and applied some silicone oil and maybe they are slightly better but certainly they are not fixed so if anyone has suggestions to stop the creak - I'm tempted to degrease the swivel and apply some fast set epoxy whilst wearing them but obviously that is a fairly extreme solution.

Other than fix I'd like suggestions for a replacement - the headphones are used in a noisy office environment so I prefer the over ear style that offer some sort of noise cancellation (don't want active cancellation), I don't like lots of bass but I do like crystal clear mid-range and clarity.

Oh yeah also looking at upgrading my player - currently have a Cowon i7 and using flacs and am considering a Lotoo PAW 5000.

Sorry for the long first post but looking forward to all comments and suggestions,

Cheers,

Simon.

2. sco888

sco888 New Member

Last night I stripped the headphones down completely and applied damping grease at the pivot points and also the ear shell joint faces and that seems to have eliminated most but not quite all the creaks to a bearable level. Would still be interested in some replacement suggestions in the £200-£300 price range though.

Have ordered a Hidizs AP100, sadly not from your site as you didn't seem to have any stock so looking forward to seeing how big a step that is over the Cowon.

Simon.

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I thought I suggested the Senn Momentum v2, but my post got lost somehow. It's as close to perfection as they get, and cannot creak.

4. sco888

sco888 New Member

Thanks Dale - they look very nice - dont need or want the headphone controls - is there any downside to having them though?

Simon.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

They don't fold, so in transporting, the carry case (if you use it) is large-ish - too big for a carry-on bag. I can't think of any other downsides - it's very nicely made and the sound just as good.

6. sco888

sco888 New Member

ok I meant downside to the headphone controls :)

The A500's don't fold either but since they live in the office that is no problem. Think I will wait until I have the AP100 up and running and then try and organise a demo of the Momentums, thanks again for your help,

Simon.

dalethorn likes this.
  7. sco888

sco888 New Member

Went for some Oppo PM-3's instead of the Momentums - hopefully arriving tomorrow :)

Getting some occassional digital type interference with the AP100 - anybody know what this is? Doesn't happen often - maybe once or twice a day but its not track based because if you rewind the track back the interference is not repeated. Other than that I'm enjoying the AP100 apart from the interface is a bit clunky.

Simon.