ATH-M50 + iPhone?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by alex.key, May 23, 2013.

1. alex.key

alex.key New Member

May 23, 2013

I'm thinking about the: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, I've been looking around and they seem to suit me.

I listen to 4+ hours of music a day at work, so figured I treat myself to some decent but affordable headphones.

I'll be listening via an iPhone 4S, but I'm not sure if these headphones will be suitable? I'm looking for closed back as I'll be using them in an office environment so don't want to bug my colleagues, also I want to cut out some of the outside noise so I can concentrate on my work.

I listen to a variety of geners, from trance to classical.

thanks for your advice
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    The M50 works perfectly from the iPhone 4s. The advantage of adding a headphone amp later would be a greater sense of 'space' or 'air', and some bass tightening (depending on the amp), but in the meantime you'll get 98 percent of the ultimate capability with the phone itself.

But, that assumes your music tracks have a reasonable volume. I have a few tracks that aren't loud enough even with the fairly efficient M50.
  3. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The M50s would be a great choice. Easy to drive and they will isolate well.

Another headphone worth looking at is the GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35D.

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones

These will definitely isolate better than the M50s, they also sound great! Fairly neutral but with real punch - They are also practically indestructible.