ATH M50 or Grado SR80i-please help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by darthstuey, Apr 15, 2012.

1. darthstuey

darthstuey New Member

After weeks of researching and investigating nearly every headphone between £100-£150, I keep coming back to these two. Indeed, I even phoned up Hifiheadphones and the guy I talked to was so helpful and he talked me in to buying the ATh M50s. However after further thought I still don't know which pair to get so here goes:

I currently have Koss PortaPros and want an upgrade for my 40th (yikes) birthday. I don't want IEMs and they will be used only with an iPod classic. I originally was sucked into the Monster Beats hype but quickly decided against them- however the size of the Solo HDs seem kind of what I am lloking for. So I guess my questions are these:

I do not commute on public transport and rarely travel on trains/planes- like about once a year, likewise I would not be using the headphones at work so open phones would not be much of a problem unless I'm led to believe otherwise.

Are the ATH M50s too big for everyday portable use? Going to the shops, general walking around place to place. The Grados do seem to be the smaller of the two pairs.

Is the leakage from Grados really that bad? I've read from other users that it isn't.

So I guess that's it- which are the hands down the best headphones for the price. I listen to all genres of music except reggae, classical and ska. Which would cope with Radiohead, Metallica, Beyonce and Miles Davies for example?

I'm also considering a using a FiiO E6- any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Like I say- I'm going round in circles here and it's my birthday next week.

Thanks in advance and sorry about the typo on the title!

2. wiplash

wiplash New Member

only leaking problems i have on my Grado's is when i walk past roadworks or a noisy bus/lorry drives past, other than that its fine.

from what i understand the Grado's have better sound quality than the M50s simply because they are open backed, adds so much depth to the songs depending on the type of music you can feel like you are in the room with them (great for radiohead i find)

i can't review the M50s but i am considering changing to them because i use my Grado's in noisy areas quite often

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Leaky sound

The big problem with open headphones is that other people around will be bothered by them and insist you cease and desist. The sounds coming in are less of a problem.

4. darthstuey

darthstuey New Member

Yes but if I'm not in a closed place with others- such as a plane, office or train- is it really an issue. As I've said- they will mainly be worn at home or when I'm shopping or in the garden etc.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Use at home?

Used at home, my headphones don't normally offend since I listen in my own office. When shopping I would have to used a closed headphone, since some of the places I shop the sound would offend other people. Your experience will tell you in the long run - every situation is unique I'm sure.