ATH-WS55? Sennheiser PC 330? Need advice

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by cannabuddha, Jul 24, 2012.

1. cannabuddha

cannabuddha New Member

Hello everyone!
    I'm looking to replace my Sony MDR-V6. The problem with them is the comfort of the earcups and the overly long twisted 'dj' cable which annoyingly tends to get tangled all the time.
    Now I might just have sensitive ears, but the MDR-V6's hurt 'outter' ear areas after prolonged wear, even though they're so loose they'll fly off my head with a slightly faster movement or head shake.

My budget is around £60 and I'm thinking either Audio-Technica ATH-WS55 or Sennheiser PC 330. Beggers can't be choosers, but I'm not making a living out of audio production or anything like that, so I'm not spending the money on proper audiophile headphones.

Primary use is sub-bass music (dungeon, dubstep) and gaming. The mic on PC330's is appreciated but I can make do with a separate mic, it's not a requirement.

What can you recommend lads? Any comments appreciated.

2. KornelHiFi

KornelHiFi Administrator

Hi cannabuddha,

Seeing how you enjoy bassy music, I'd say the WS55's are a good choice (have yet to hear the PC 330's, sadly) as their bass punch is quite impressive. However, let me recommend another set from the brand Fostex that is excellent value for money:

Fostex TH-7 Dynamic Closed Studio Headphones in Black (TH-7B)

Whilst these probably have a bit less bass punch, they are incredibly clear for their price, really a bargain. Fostex branded them as semi-open but they leak so little that we decided to put them in the closed back section.