Audio Techinica ATH-AD700 VS Sennheiser HD598

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by albi86, Feb 12, 2011.

1. albi86

albi86 New Member

Hi everyone, I would like to buy a pair of open headphones in the range of 150 bucks. Reading reviews and so on, I guess the ones which fit me best are these two.

I plug them into a Denon M38 receiver, so please consider I have no dedicated amp and I'm not planning to buy one in a short time.

I also own a pair of ATH-M50, which I'm very happy with, but I was looking for a wider sound. So I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO, and I really cannot complain about them, except a bit about build quality. Unfortunately, their 250 ohm impedance turned out to be almost unbearable for my tiny system, and I'm giving them back. Although very poorly driven, I could still perceive how bigger drivers and a open-back profile make sound way more enjoyable, so I'll keep going down this route.

I listen to every kind of music, so I would like to get a fair compromise between punchy bass and sound detail. Most important to me is the vocal projection: I really cant stand headphones which sound as if the singer got a cold.

I'm leaning toward the ATs: I have a very good experience with this brand, I find their build quality great, they're easy to drive and those 53mm drivers look damn appealing. I also read a lot of very positive reviews, so I guess it's a safe buy.

But I also had good experiences with Sennheiser, and I read good things about these cans too, so I would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

From your explanation of what you are looking for I would say the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 is the right choice over the Sennheiser HD598.

The ATH-AD700 has a massive, open soundstage and excellent reproduction of the mid-range. The Sennheiser HD598 is much more relaxed and smooth sounding (typical of Sennheiser).

A pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the ATH-AD700 is a great pair of contrasting headphones... one for listening in noisy environments (or if you don't want the headphones to leak sound) and one for listening in the peace and quiet.

3. albi86

albi86 New Member

Thanks, I've already ordered a pair :)