Audio Technica w1000x

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by george953, May 26, 2011.

1. george953

george953 New Member

May 26, 2011
    I have Audio Technica w1000x and I'm very happy with the sound quality and the comfort.
    I'd like your opinion on a pair with comparable sound quality but with enough isolation to defeat a tv set on moderate volume.
    Static listening through headphone amp only.

As a test I tried the triple-flange Etymotic. The isolation was great but the sound wasn't.

Full size headphone are first choice but am happy to consider in-ear.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi George

Beyer DT770 would probably be my first choice for the job, the isolation is really impressive and they sound great and comfy too. The ATH-M50 is another to have a look at as this could double more easily as a pair to take on holiday due to folding cups.

Have you ever had a listen to any of the DENON stuff? D2000 and D5000, I think the isolation is probably not enough but these are a bit closer to the sound you are used to and let less sound in than the w1000x.

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable

Denon AH-D5000 Closed-Back Reference Class HiFi Headphones

Feel free to ask me more about these. This is a very hard question to help with as what you want is a compromise and that is always an odd place to start. If it is your other half on the sofa watching TV maybe she would like some headphones too and then you can keep listening to your W1000x :)
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011