AudioTechnica ATH-M20 VS Stanton DJ PRO 50S

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by lutano, Oct 1, 2009.

1. lutano

lutano New Member

Hello guys, 1 week ago I bought AudioTechnica ATH-M20 headphones

Audio-Technica - Products - Headphones - Monitor - ATH-M20

and I am not pretty happy because the max volume is not that high. Hence, sometimes depending on the mp3 file I can not enjoy the music so much, i.e. the max volume is low and I can even hear noise from the surrondings.
    I talked with some friends and they said that the low volume is a kind of features from Audiotechnica.

Since I am still on time to get my money back or to change the product from the music store, I was looking to change them with the Stanton DJ PRO 50

:: Stanton :: DJ equipment, gear, cartridges, mixers, turntables, needles, headphones, cd players

I was wondering about the quality of these headphones since they are cheaper that the audiotechnica one. Moreover I was wondering about the quality of the Stanton headphones and if I will be happier regarding the max volume.

I am not an expert in this field, that's why I am asking for your help. I hope I can get useful suggestions since I don't have so much time left to change the product.
    Thank you!

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

AudioTechnica ATH-M20 VS Stanton DJ PRO 50S

The volume depends on how efficient the headphones are and also the amount of resistance (impedance) the headphone drivers give to the source signal.

The specifications to check are the impedance (in general the higher the value, the quieter the headphone) and the sensitivity (the lower the value the less volume they will produce).

If you compare these specifications it will help you assess the expected volume.