avoiding a headache!!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by kevin, Oct 12, 2010.

1. kevin

kevin New Member

I travel a lot and like the idea of investing in a really decent pair of head/earphones with noise cancelling or noise isolation BUT in the past I have always got a headache from wearing any phones even after a few minutes. Has anyone else ever come across this?
    It seems to be worse with full headphones as opposed to in-ear although I dont really like the feel of those either! I am thinking of investing in a pair that clip on the ears but before I splash out I would like some advice.
    thanks a lot
    Kevin

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems Kevin. Do you think it is the pressure of the headphones "clamping" on your temples? Try to describe what you believe is causing the pain.:)

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphones that give a headache

It would also be really interesting to hear what headphones you have tried. Headphones have very different levels of clamping effect, earpad shape, etc.

If we know what headphones you have tried then maybe we have some ideas for headphones that are more gentle on your head.

4. kevin

kevin New Member

hi again - thanks for these 2 replies. I do some web-based training so my main phones are on a logitech headset PC Headset 120
    I also use sony noise cancelling phones. they are a few years old so the closest would be this pair here MDR-NC40 (MDRNC40) : Headphones : Sony but mine are a lot smaller. Again they fit over the ear. And I sometimes use a USB headset for a language course.
    other than that i use standard ipod in ear phones. I do not listen to music loudly and for as long as i recall i have had the same problem. Actually I assumed everyone experienced it but I see I am wrong!! I feel that anything ON my ear is worse than IN the ear but neither is great. The feeling is at best a 'thick head', muzzy and spaced out. At worst it turns into a thumping headache. Generally I try to limit the use of any phones to justa few minutes per day- any more than that and I know I will suffer.
    Hope that helps - maybe I should be heading to a medical website!!!

5. RobinHiFi

On ear headphones do have this effect on many people so I don't think you need to visit the doctor just yet!:)

Also many people find in ears a little intrusive - Comfort is a really important factor as what is the point of great sound if you are distracted from the music by painful headphones.

I think you should go for some around the ear headphones that are all about comfort. This design is called Circumaural - although they are normally a bit bigger the comfort will make all the difference and also full size headphones can last for 20 years so are great value for money.

What kind of budget were you thinking of and what music are you listening to at the moment?

6. kevin

kevin New Member

Hi Robin - great to hear I am not alone! Bigger headphones in that respect make sense but are not so useful for travelling. I have an old pair which I might try just to see the effect. I listen to classical and soul music and audiobooks. Do you rate the Bose over ear nooise cancelling or are there better options?

7. RobinHiFi

The Bose over ears are OK if a little overpriced - Noise cancellers are reasonably similar, there is certainly no great sonic gain with the Bose.

Are you mainly travelling with these? If you are commuting and planning using them on long trips this is where noise cancelling really shines. You would get better stereo imaging from a full size headphone like this -

Ultrasone HFI-780 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 780)

Which works well with classical music with plenty of detail and great separation. Also they fold and come with a carrying bag.

Have a look at these and let me know what you think.